 Technic / 4363
Re: Bionicle is not Technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:53:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.general, Dean Hystad writes:
Am I the only person who is annoyed by all the Bionicle posts that appear
under technic?

Definitely not 8?(

Same here! I even posted about it a while ago.

However that is only a feature of the web interface. Viewing
news.lugnet.com/technic by default actually displays the technic group and • all
it's sub-groups. You can filter out all the sub-groups by clicking on the • "View
plain without sub-groups" link near the bottom right.

ROSCO

That's true, I've used that option for a while but I had the feeling I'm
missing something - If someone posts something that deals with bionicles _and_
in technic (and for me those are two completely different things) he will post
it under technic.bionicle and won't post it also under technic [1][2].
A person like me who ignores completely posts to the technic.bionicle group
will miss such a post. That's why I returned to the regular interface and I'm
screening the posts according to the topic and it's very very annoying.
I realize that the theme groups are arranged according to the way LEGO
arranged it's sub-groups but in this case I believe following LEGO's choice is
counter productive (and annoying).

[1] For example, when I wanted to find out about LEGO stores in Manhattan I
posted in loc/us/ny/ny/man/ although I expected to catch the attention of
people in NY (the city) outside Manhattan that have some info. (or for that
matter even people in NY (the state) or even simply in the US).

The group hierarchy is not just a method of dividing the posts into smaller
groups, it should also follow some logic to help people find the posts that
they are interested in (and to reach people that are interested in what you
have to say). In this particular case I think following LEGO's own hierarchy
fails to achieve either purpose.

[2] For example, the post "Damaged Axel"
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=300 may very well be interesting
but I fail to see the connection between the post
"Joy! I'm back in the game (was: I can't get in anymore.)"
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=284  and anybody who is interested
in Technic (and not in Bionicle).

If I had anything to say about it I'd take the Bionicle sub-group out of the
Technic group. (Please??)

- David