 Technic / 4365
Re: Bionicle is not Technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:14:57 GMT

David Arnon <arnon@NOSPAMsilicon-value.com> wrote in message
news:GAs7xK.Mus@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.general, Dean Hystad writes:
Am I the only person who is annoyed by all the Bionicle posts that • appear
under technic?

Definitely not 8?(

Same here! I even posted about it a while ago.

However that is only a feature of the web interface. Viewing
news.lugnet.com/technic by default actually displays the technic group • and
all
it's sub-groups. You can filter out all the sub-groups by clicking on the • "View
plain without sub-groups" link near the bottom right.

ROSCO

That's true, I've used that option for a while but I had the feeling I'm
missing something - If someone posts something that deals with bionicles • _and_
in technic (and for me those are two completely different things) he will • post
it under technic.bionicle and won't post it also under technic [1][2].
A person like me who ignores completely posts to the technic.bionicle • group
will miss such a post. That's why I returned to the regular interface and • I'm
screening the posts according to the topic and it's very very annoying.
I realize that the theme groups are arranged according to the way LEGO
arranged it's sub-groups but in this case I believe following LEGO's • choice is
counter productive (and annoying).

Unfortunately, the whole newsgroup system (not just Lugnet's implementation)
always relies on the poster to post to the relevant groups. For this reason,
the Lugnet web interface "default" of displaying all sub-groups may be
slightly counter-productive - new users using the WI to post in
.technic.bionicle for example will be happy to see their posts turn up
"automatically" in the .technic group, and not realise that others using a
news-reader will not see them. But I think the WI has other advantages (most
notably the "thread tree") which outweigh this.

I'm kinda getting used to using both interfaces - I generally use a
news-reader at work, and the WI at home. Both seem to work OK for me.

ROSCO