 Technic / 4275
Re: Pre-1995 strong pieces/attachments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:59:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Simon Bennett writes:

The grey pins seem to be slightly "looser" and I rarely have any problem with
them.

ROSCO

I thought that the whole idea of the introduction of the black pins was to
provide this friction.  You use a grey pin when you need elements to rotate
about them and a black one when rigidity is required.  I'm now wondering if
I should sort my black pins into 'slotted' and 'solid' and see which has
most friction.  If the slotted ones allow rotation then I don't think they
are doing the job.

I agree, I think that is the difference between black & grey. I don't think
there's significant difference in friction between "slotted" and "un-slotted"
black pins, but they do (both kinds) allow some rotation, just not as much as
the grey ones.

The point I was making was the tendency of the black pins to become very
difficult to remove if left in place for an extended period. I'm not sure why
this is, it may be they just distort or expand over time.

ROSCO