 Technic / 3689
Re: Pre-1995 strong pieces/attachments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:
This could just be something to do with the sets I have, but I noticed that
many sets before 1995 seem to have really stiff and strong pieces. They take
a lot more strength to join but once connected, they stay on very tightly.
Some models I got in the last year (i.e. 8856, 8858, 8880) seemed to have
these really tight pieces, but newer ones (such as 8485 and 8462) have
pieces that fit more loosely. These were all new/MISB so I think that the
pieces should be of "correct" strength. Does anyone know anything more about
this?

-Gaurav

It might be a couple of things:

- A newer, slightly more pliable breed of ABS is being used. It is more readily
available, holds it's color better, is available in more colors (rather than
having to add a lake [dye] to the ABS beads), and weighs slightly less than the
older ABS. It's molding temperatures and pressures are slightly less as well.

- Some of the molds have been retooled slightly. This is because some of the
parts that required compound molds can now be achieved in simpler molds, due to
the newer ABS. With these new molds, edge fillets can more accurately be used
without as much flash oozing out. As a result, many of the pieces seem to
connect more readily, if not a bit more "sloppily". Compare a new half beam's
cross axle connection to an old one. The old one will have very sharp edges on
both sides. The new one will have one slightly sharp edge side and one slightly
rounded side.

- Sean