 Technic / 4276
Re: Pre-1995 strong pieces/attachments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:23:33 GMT

Ah, yes ROSCO, I've been a bit of a fool here...

I don't think
there's significant difference in friction between "slotted" and "un-slotted"
black pins, but they do (both kinds) allow some rotation, just not as much as
the grey ones.

Clearly they would have to or you would have to pull them out and replace
when you need to move a beam's position!  And if they were tight enough to
resist any rotation you would never even be able to get them in!

The point I was making was the tendency of the black pins to become very
difficult to remove if left in place for an extended period. I'm not sure why
this is, it may be they just distort or expand over time.

I think the black pins are made from much softer plastic and this melts,
perhaps even at room temperature due to the inherent friction, welding them
into place.  I would suggest this means that rotating them somehow would be
the best way of breaking the weld.  I've never had any which required
drilling out!

Psi