 Technic / 15973
Re: Technicopedia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:03:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Eric Albrecht wrote:
Technicopedia
=============

Hello Eric,

A promising site!
Two little points nonetheless:

- " The 8 tooth gear is still in use, but the others have been replaced with
improved versions, or simply dropped (40 tooth gear)."
AFAIK the 40 tooth gear is alive and well! eg there is one in the NXT set...

- In 1977 parts image, you show the 1 axlehole 24 tooth gear that appeared much
later. Maybe you could try this part instead:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=3648a

Philo

Thanks for looking close enough to actually notice.

For the 40 tooth gear, I suppose I could have worded it better.  For the part
introductions (and retirings), I am referring exclusively to their use in
Technic sets.  Some of the parts existed before Technic, but I introduce them as
new when they appear in a set for the first time.  Likewise, I haven't seen a 40
tooth gear in a Technic set in a long time.  8479 had one as late as 1997.  But
you're right, it is still in production.

As for the 24 tooth gear, thanks for the model!  I was aware that the computer
image had the newer gear, but I didn't have a model of the older one (with extra
axle holes).  I tried to put them on my flatbed scanner and make some real
images, but they looked so pathetic compared with the ones that Jim Hughes did
that I couldn't bring myself to post them.  I'll fix up the computer image with
the correct part next time I post an update (sometime this week).

Eric
blakbird