 Technic / 11794
Re: Connecting New Cylinders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:13:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Jonathan MacIntyre wrote:
Hello

I am trying to connect two of the new form factor cylinders back-to-back. Does
any one have any ideas? I wish only to use lego parts.

Thanks

Probably what amounts to a braindead question coming up...

Could someone describes some possible applications for this design pattern?

Well, the first example is in a post by Dennis Boseman:

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11787

I used them in my original and/or gates.

A single piston can give you two stable states, expanded or contracted.

Two pistons can give you three lengths with four stable states:

Contracted/Contracted : length = two contracted pistons end to end
Expanded/Contracted : length = One expanded and one contracted
Contracted/Expanded : length = same as Expanded/Contracted
Expanded/Expanded : length = two expanded pistons

I've used this in pneumatic walkers where I want the feet to have more than just
forward and backward positions.  None of them worked well, but not because of
this design pattern.

Thanks
Mark

Kevin