 Storage / 899
    Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —David Lewis
   I'm curious about drawer vs tiltbin storage for wear on Lego. I realize that there are personal preference issues here as well, but I'm mainly curious about the effect of tilt bins on Lego itself. Every time you open a tilt bin up, a few of the top (...) (23 years ago, 18-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Cary Clark
     I'm more concerned about keeping the bricks out of direct sunlight. I avoid tiltbins for a different reason: I can't fill them up as much. If anything, I'd like to move to a system that has large opaque drawers, say 28" x 20", which can hold any (...) (23 years ago, 18-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Matthias Jetleb
     (...) Yes, definately... (...) For what it's worth, my Lego goes back 30 years (and more). I was my number one toy as a child and I made no effort to avoid scratching it. Keep in mind, that the primary components in almost any model are the ordinary (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Suzanne D. Rich
   (...) I don't think the issue of tilt shift causing wear is one worthy of consideration unless it's the only consideration. That said, I could argue that under certain working conditions, there would actually be less shifting with a tilt system. But (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) I'd like to hear more about this if it's not confidential. When I am free building or designing something new (as opposed to doing a production run where I am working from a parts list) I don't always know how much of what I will end up (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Suzanne D. Rich
   (...) In a tilt-bin setup, bins get opened only once (they stay open) no matter how many times parts are taken from them. They can also be removed. In a tray system, as at TLC, the entire drawer is a compartmentalized tray (aprox 24x30x3). It gets (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —William R. Ward
     (...) I use pull-out drawers (IRIS) and don't have that problem. The drawers are big enough that you can pull one out 1/3 of the way and the one below it 2/3 of the way, and access both. You do sometimes find the drawer you want blocked, but if you (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

         Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Suzanne D. Rich
     (...) That's cool. I know drawers are by far the most common system for AFOLs, and complaints like mine are practically unheard of. But I'm tempted (almost) to attribute their popularity to economy of space and price. Then, their defense to (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

         Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —William R. Ward
     (...) Yes. I have 3 IRIS cabinets of 7 drawers each. [...] (...) The cabinets are about 5 feet tall, and contain 7 drawers each, in three sizes (deep, medium, and shallow). I sit in a chair with a TV table off to one side, where the (...) (23 years ago, 26-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) So it sounds like the key is having a big enough worktable so you can have the likely trays out and available as you do your design run? (...) I agree about drawers, i don't use them and would find them maddening as well. Where I went wrong is (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Jake McKee
     (...) I do the same with the larger parts...the vertical nesting stacks. I have to do the same, always running to the shelfs. Drives me nuts. I also have about twenty Plano thin, clear boxes (with lids) for the smaller parts. That helps, but still (...) (23 years ago, 19-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Suzanne D. Rich
     (...) Yeah, spread-out space is important. But it doesn't have to be fancy. Even if one has a flip-down table-top, it'd a big help. My Dad built a train table like that - it flipped up against the wall when not in use. I've seen sewing tables like (...) (23 years ago, 20-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Frank Filz
   Just hanging off of Larry's post semi-randomly.... Some thoughts on storage and building: My storage scheme is that parts which sort into a large volume get stored in Hefty One-Zip freezer weight bags, and then get stored in tubs and drawers of (...) (23 years ago, 20-May-01, to lugnet.storage)

        Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching? —Jason King
   I use drawers with items sorted by type and then by colour if needed. I love it, it saves me so much time in digging. Building becomes a pleasure. That being said, It works with my very modest collection. Plus a lot of my collection is on display. (...) (23 years ago, 16-Jun-01, to lugnet.storage)