 Storage / 901
Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 03:11:54 GMT

Am I being overly paranoid that the piece shifting when the bins are opened • Yes, definately...
will eventually dull the ABS?  There's almost no pressure on the pieces that
shift, so the scratching will be minimal, but still...

Reading over this, it sure seems overly protective, but I am concerned about
this.  I'd like my Lego to last a long time, and not look abused after
several years.

For what it's worth, my Lego goes back 30 years (and more). I was my
number one toy as a child and I made no effort to avoid scratching it.
Keep in mind, that the primary components in almost any model are the
ordinary varieties of bricks. These are quite common and easily
replaced if badly damaged (otherwise, just use it in an unseen area).
The "rare" pieces are the only ones to worry about, but given that
there aren't very many of those, they won't stack too heavily in a bin
so you needn't worry about them either.

As for the issue of tilt vs. slide type drawers, there are some major
reasons why tilt drawers are not a good idea. Tilt drawers tend to
loose their contents when nearly full and the drawer hits one of it's
stops (max open or max closed - particularly closed since we tend not
to push with more vigor than we pull). If you think about it, a tilt
drawer takes up a lot more space  than a slide drawer does, when you
compare the holding capacity. This can easily become another major
drawback. My last point is that there is (usually) less friction in
the hinge of a tilt drawer than there is between a sliding drawer and
it's cabinet. This can come back to haunt you if you ever have to move
the cabinet and you accidentally bang it or tilt it. While I realize
that some slide drawers are very easy to move, most are not, and when
I compare the drawers I'm using to some of the tilt drawers I've used
in the past (for other purposes), I can safely say that tilt drawers
should only be used if you know you'll never have to move the cabinet.
I personally would stick to the sliding drawer system.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ