 Storage / 910
Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2001 22:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

No one should have a system that requires (or allows?) drawers to be
opened hundreds of times a day. That sort of thing is easily avoided.

I'd like to hear more about this if it's not confidential.

In a tilt-bin setup, bins get opened only once (they stay open) no
matter how many times parts are taken from them. They can also be removed.

In a tray system, as at TLC, the entire drawer is a compartmentalized
tray (aprox 24x30x3). It gets pulled out, then taken over to a
worktable. Or, if the user is holding an empty tray, they pull a
selection of elements they expect to use in that session. Often, a
number of trays are on the worktable at once.

So it sounds like the key is having a big enough worktable so you can have
the likely trays out and available as you do your design run?

A pulled out drawer blocks access to the drawer beneath. So, if using
this system, one can start out with an empty tray (aprox 18x22x3),
remove any drawers they expect to use, and arrange them inside. In the
case of Akro-Mills drawers, there are a few LEGO set boxes with exactly
the correct dimensions for filling, as a tray, with a grid of drawers.
With experience, this method feels natural and requires a drawer to be
pulled out only once.

Personally, I find the pull-out drawers maddening. They are designed for
storage, not the kind of usage required when building. As you can see
above, I turn the drawer system into a tray system to use it. If I were
forced to use drawers and could not remove them, I would fill only every
other row of drawers, allowing any to be left open while building.

I agree about drawers, i don't use them and would find them maddening as
well. Where I went wrong is that much of my larger parts are in the shoebox
bins which I keep vertically stacked (nested) on shelving. I am constantly
going and getting parts out of them, stacking and restacking. Big waste of
time. But in order to have all of them spread out around me, it would
require 2-300 square feet of table space. So still not workable. Vertical
*is* the way to go. Just not the way I went.

The idea of getting out inserts and putting them into a carrier as you
describe above sounds like a huge win. This wasn't how things were organised
at the Media lab, though, right? I seem to recall that being in drawers but
I could be misremembering.

++Lar

++Lar