 Storage / 948
Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:27:26 GMT

I use drawers with items sorted by type and then by colour if needed.
I love it, it saves me so much time in digging. Building becomes a pleasure.
That being said, It works with my very modest collection. Plus a lot of my
collection is on display. If i broke down every set into parts i would be in
trouble.
Multiply it by 7 - 10 times and well i think i would drown under ABS.
I suppose you would have in your drawers a working supply, and then store
the rest in bulk containers.
I also tend to pull the drawers out and place them on the table, because i
can't get to the drawer underneath it.  So i see exactly where Suz is coming
from.

--
Jason King
LugNet #665

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Just hanging off of Larry's post semi-randomly....

Some thoughts on storage and building:

My storage scheme is that parts which sort into a large volume get
stored in Hefty One-Zip freezer weight bags, and then get stored in tubs
and drawers of various types. Parts which sort into small volumes are
kept in Plano 3700 type boxes. The bags end up working fairly well for
building, because like Suzanne mentions with her system, you can take
the ones you need to your work area. My biggest problem now is space. A
one bedroom apartment and a 200k+ LEGO collection just don't quite get
along.

One problem is coming up with a storage system which can efficiently
store variable quantities of a part, and also avoid the problem of when
you have humongously more of a given part than you will ever use in a
single creation. I have overflow containers for some parts, but others
are obnoxiously large. The empty tray filled with a selection of stuff
may be the best idea for those huge quantity parts.

Another problem is cost. I've thought about using small plastic boxes
put into a drawer, but the small boxes just seem way too expensive for
the quantities you would need.

Frank