 Storage / 916
Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 00:01:39 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.storage, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In a tray system, as at TLC, the entire drawer is a compartmentalized
tray (aprox 24x30x3). It gets pulled out, then taken over to a
worktable. Or, if the user is holding an empty tray, they pull a
selection of elements they expect to use in that session. Often, a
number of trays are on the worktable at once.

So it sounds like the key is having a big enough worktable so you can have
the likely trays out and available as you do your design run?

Yeah, spread-out space is important. But it doesn't have to be fancy. Even if
one has a flip-down table-top, it'd a big help. My Dad built a train table like
that - it flipped up against the wall when not in use. I've seen sewing tables
like that too. Some in setups that look like a wardrobe cabinet in the living
room or wherever, but then open up to an entire sewing room. :-) Anyway, you
know what I mean. But that of course would call for keeping your area all
cleaned up between sessions.

one can start out with an empty tray (aprox 18x22x3),
remove any drawers they expect to use, and arrange them inside. In the
case of Akro-Mills drawers, there are a few LEGO set boxes with exactly
the correct dimensions for filling, as a tray, with a grid of drawers.
With experience, this method feels natural and requires a drawer to be
pulled out only once. [..]

The idea of getting out inserts and putting them into a carrier as you
describe above sounds like a huge win.

Yup. I like it. I do this when sorting (where it works in reverse). I believe
"drawers to trays" is the best overall system for an AFOL without a LEGO room.
It's inexpensive, packs well, and makes for easy access while building. Dust
free, light tight. It's very flexible. A little sloppy though. Big danger in
dropping a tray.
   <8^O   Yes, it happens. Even at TLC. Although.. I don't think I've ever
dropped a tray at home. My at-home trays are lighter and smaller than the ones
TLC uses.

I'm not sure that you fully know what I mean though. I'll make a separate post
about tray systems.

This wasn't how things were organised
at the Media lab, though, right? I seem to recall that being in drawers but
I could be misremembering.

At the Media Lab we switched systems. I disassembled the Boston office
collection (a standard LEGO Company tray system) to put it in MIT, adding to
their existing lab. There were -loads- of issues involved. I should write about
it at some point.. But quick answer is: no. There were no drawers.  I have some
pictures somewhere online. will look for.

The Media Lab went from big open bins on shelves to a very slick tilt-out bin
area. Plenty of things went wrong with that, but overall I think I'd do the same
again. I'd just do a better job of it. Or make multiple areas. I tried to
instruct users to fill "working trays," dipping into the bin storage, but it was
impossible to control how people used the area. I gave that up after a couple
days.

I couldn't do a direct move of TLC system into MIT because it was deemed too
ugly by those in charge. :-) I was given a nearly unlimited budget to do
something about that. It took all summer to build and fill. still had 4x more
supply in storage.. nightmare..

-Suz