 Storage / 900
Re: Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:01:15 GMT

I'm more concerned about keeping the bricks out of direct sunlight.

I avoid tiltbins for a different reason: I can't fill them up as much.
If anything, I'd like to move to a system that has large opaque drawers,
say 28" x 20", which can hold any combination of plastic drawers and
bags that I use now. I plan on building my own storage system (once I
get through sorting ... right.)

I am curious as to how much scratching happens in shipping. Presumably,
between the time the bricks pop out of the molding machine until they
are dumped out of the polybags, they get rubbed against other bricks
hundreds of times. Maybe more times than the number of times you open
your tiltbins.

I too separate every shape and color combination in its own bin -- but
now I'm torn about whether to keep the drawers organized by color or
shape. I started out shape, but am gradually migrating towards color for
most parts.

A fun science fair project would be to show how much windows or
windshields get scratched from piece-rubbing. Maybe if they were in a
tumbler for different periods of time -- I still can't believe how
completely scratched some used windows I have bought are.

Cary

"David Lewis" <dlewis@seanet.com> wrote in message
I'm curious about drawer vs tiltbin storage for wear on Lego.  I realize
that there are personal preference issues here as well, but I'm mainly
curious about the effect of tilt bins on Lego itself.  Every time you
open a
tilt bin up, a few of the top pieces roll to the front of the bin.  I'm
worried about dulling the ABS because of scratching.

For basic blocks and beams, I'm almost to the point of having every
shape
and color combination in its own bin, so there's no pawing around in the
bin
to find a part.  Just grab the first one on the top.  I think this
mitigates
a lot of the wear and tear on parts.

Am I being overly paranoid that the piece shifting when the bins are
opened
will eventually dull the ABS?  There's almost no pressure on the pieces
that
shift, so the scratching will be minimal, but still...

Every picture I've seen of Lego's storage space for it's designers have
used
drawers.  Was this a consideration when they picked their storage
method?
And is this only an issue for a company like Lego that has the same
drawer
opened probably hundreds of times a day, whereas I open mine an average
of
once every other day, so it's not an issue?

Reading over this, it sure seems overly protective, but I am concerned
about
this.  I'd like my Lego to last a long time, and not look abused after
several years.

    Thanks,

    David