 Storage / 899
898  |  900
Subject:
Drawers vs tilt-bins and scratching?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 08:47:08 GMT

I'm curious about drawer vs tiltbin storage for wear on Lego.  I realize
that there are personal preference issues here as well, but I'm mainly
curious about the effect of tilt bins on Lego itself.  Every time you open a
tilt bin up, a few of the top pieces roll to the front of the bin.  I'm
worried about dulling the ABS because of scratching.

For basic blocks and beams, I'm almost to the point of having every shape
and color combination in its own bin, so there's no pawing around in the bin
to find a part.  Just grab the first one on the top.  I think this mitigates
a lot of the wear and tear on parts.

Am I being overly paranoid that the piece shifting when the bins are opened
will eventually dull the ABS?  There's almost no pressure on the pieces that
shift, so the scratching will be minimal, but still...

Every picture I've seen of Lego's storage space for it's designers have used
drawers.  Was this a consideration when they picked their storage method?
And is this only an issue for a company like Lego that has the same drawer
opened probably hundreds of times a day, whereas I open mine an average of
once every other day, so it's not an issue?

Reading over this, it sure seems overly protective, but I am concerned about
this.  I'd like my Lego to last a long time, and not look abused after
several years.

    Thanks,

    David