 Storage / 1382
Re: Moving your sorted brick cross-country
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:03:07 GMT

I also recently moved across country. The company paid for the move so I had
professional movers.

Plano boxes - I found that if you put them in a large container, or box, • and
have them laying flat, you should not have a problem with them opening.

Yup these went fine. The professional movers pack things very well with
paper (crumpled so as to provide good cusioning). I don't think any Plano
boxes opened, and none were taped.

Multi-drawers units - these with the 60 drawers or whatever in each unit, • I just
taped both sides complete, so they did not spill. I had a couple of pieces • at
the bottom from bumps, but they travelled well in the 24' U-Haul (Even • with me
driving it!)

I didn't have any of these at the time. If I was worried, I would top each
drawer with a small wad of paper, and then tape the box or just rely on the
paper padding to keep the drawers closed.

Iris carts - the parts in these were already in zipper lock bags. The mover
taped the carts closed, then made a custom box for each one. They traveled
perfectly.

Tubs and such - were packed into boxes with paper cushioning.

Creations - I put most of the smaller ones in ziplocs in various boxes and
containers. The larger ones were torn down, or packed up. Most made it OK.

There are some large zipper lock bags. I had some large enough to put Black
Sea's  Baracuddas and other large creations in. I used bubble wrap until I
ran out. I also used several wraps of packing paper, with crumpled packing
paper between layers. All of my pirate ships and a bunch of other creations
went into a wardrobe box. Some of the pirate ships broke up a bit, but in
general creations traveled fine.

A lot of my creations were standard sets. They got quickly torn down to pack
better and were destined for sorting when I got here (I managed to stage 0
sort a bunch of castles one day before the move when a non-LEGO friend came
over and helped me).

I guess the big thing is how it is being transported. If you are doing it
yourself, you can pack it to what you think is best. If you are having • others
move you, you may have to pack better. Since I was the one organizing the • truck
and being the supervisor when it was being loaded, I was fairly happy with • the
result. YMMV.

My experience was with professional movers, if you use such, make sure they
understand your concerns and allow plenty of time for packing. Be willing to
tip them well. My mover worked with me to assure my LEGO was well packed.
Normally they insist on packing everything, but after the first evening of
packing, where he showed me how to pack, he let me pack several boxes
myself.

Frank