 Storage / 1374
1373  |  1375
Subject:
Tape Snob (was Re: Moving your sorted brick cross-country)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Jake McKee wrote:

I recently moved a good distance, and had to move my big ‘ol collection with me. Like John mentioned, I used LOTS of ziploc baggies. I just moved my parts bins to one baggie per color/size/shape like I had already sorted them.

I had a few tackle boxes and lots of the flat Plano type boxes. Some of them were simply closed and then taped very good. Others where emptied and bagged. Just depended on the box... I wanted to makes sure they didn’t spill out in transit. If you decide to tape, DO NOT use the brown packing tape..it’ll never come off your boxes. If you do tape, buy the most expensive clear packing/sealing tape you can fine. It’ll peel right off on the other end.

I’d also suggest triple taping the boxes. Seal up every opening between the flaps to ensure that if baggies come open, your parts won’t spill out.

This is how I moved my collection, and my 30+ boxes of bricks (most were about the same size as K8s) arrived (mostly) in one piece.

Good luck!

Jake

--- Jake McKee Webmaster - BIP http://www.bricksonthebrain.com

Well, it sounds like the zippable sandwich bag is THE answer of the day. Fortunately, I think my wife has quite a collection of sizes.

Thanks for the warning about tape, but ever since working in theatre, I’ve become a tape snob. I hate duct tape now. If any of you have never tried Gaffer’s tape, believe me when I say it’s worth the $12 a roll and effort to track down (theatre supply stores are usually only found in major cities, but that’s why there’s the internet.) It is the best general tape I have ever used. Tears easier than duct or packing tape. Leaves less residue on the taped item than any tape but 3M magic tape. Has an approx tensile strength of 40lbs. Comes in fantastic colors, and several widths. When wadded into a ball and thrown like a baseball, stings like fire but doesn’t leave welts.

Oh, thanks Jake and John for the suggestions.