 Storage / 1375
Re: Moving your sorted brick cross-country
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:35:40 GMT

Aaron & All,

I am moving from the DC/Baltimore area to the San Diego area in a month or
less. I have 75% of my collection sorted. Some is in easy to move plastic
shoebox sized containers. A lot is in hard to move Stack On brand organizing
drawers or tacklebox type organizers. I would rather not have to re-sort it
all. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Having moved from Flint, Michigan to Ann Arbor, Michigan to South Bend, Indiana
to Osceola, Indiana, all within the last 5 years or so, I have a bit of
experience here with this.

Plano boxes - I found that if you put them in a large container, or box, and
have them laying flat, you should not have a problem with them opening.

Multi-drawers units - these with the 60 drawers or whatever in each unit, I just
taped both sides complete, so they did not spill. I had a couple of pieces at
the bottom from bumps, but they travelled well in the 24' U-Haul (Even with me
driving it!)

Creations - I put most of the smaller ones in ziplocs in various boxes and
containers. The larger ones were torn down, or packed up. Most made it OK.

I guess the big thing is how it is being transported. If you are doing it
yourself, you can pack it to what you think is best. If you are having others
move you, you may have to pack better. Since I was the one organizing the truck
and being the supervisor when it was being loaded, I was fairly happy with the
result. YMMV.

Anyway, good luck out there, and don't have too much fun! : )

Sincerely,
Scott S.