 Star Wars / 9615
    Re: next year —Bryan Hodges
   (...) Right, the storyline of _Splinter of the Minds Eye_ is actually quite good. I suppose Lucas did ignore it in a matter of speaking. What I meant by he didn't exactly "ignore" it is that in my mind there was never anything for him to ignore... (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: next year —Eric Joslin
   (...) Ah, I see what you mean. :D (...) I can't remember which book it was in, but when I got to the one with the Sun Crusher, I pretty much stopped. In the middle of the book. That was the last one I read. (...) I read the Hier to the Empire (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: next year —Selçuk Göre
      (...) This is the first book of K. J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy. Jedi Search, to be precise. Up to date, I've read Empire Trilogy from T. Zahn, Jedi Academy Trilogy from K. J. Anderson, Truce at Bakura from K. M. Tyers, and Bounty Hunter Wars (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: next year —Jason Maxwell
     (...) You've nailed Anderson to a T. I can't stand his books, and most of the hard-core SW books fans have never forgiven him for the "editing" job he did on Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. One of the stories in there (which I think was written (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: next year —Mike Petrucelli
     <snip> (...) You are going to bash Anderson over something obscure like that and let Zahn get away with murder? (proverbially speaking) I swear Zahn thought he was writing a Trek novel. Let's see: He gives Luke's X-wing a pathetically inferior (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: next year —Adrick Tolliver
      (...) But half the Star Trek movies had phaser bolts in stead of beams! (They were trying to copy Star Wars, I guess.) (...) Well, not really. A city covered planet just like Courscant appered in Isaac Asimov's Foundion books back in the 50's. He (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

          Re: next year —Marc Nelson, Jr.
       (...) Trantor was the name of the totally urbanized planet in Foundation. Trantor was also capital of the Galactic Empire, another concept found in Star Wars. Actually, now that I think about it, the Jedi and the Sith are a little like the two (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

           Re: next year —Alex Marino
        (...) No, sorry, the capital of the Galactic Empire was Coruscant. (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

           Re: next year —Marc Nelson, Jr.
       (...) was (...) Trantor was the capital of the Galactic Empire in the Foundation series, not Star Wars. I should have been more clear. I was trying to say that the concept of a Galactic Empire is something common to both Foundation and SW. I doubt (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

           Re: next year —Erik Olson
       On galactic empires generally, E.E. "Doc" Smith is often mentioned as the guy who took sf out of the solar system. Try to imagine a more provincial time, before anyone had yet launched a rocket, when an IBM typewriter was cutting edge technology, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

          Re: next year —Erik Olson
      (...) Hope you don't mind me jumping in. There is some evidence that Coruscant, the City Planet, appeared in Leigh Brackett's story conference notes for the first draft of Empire in 1977. The City Planet was one of her favorite motifs, and young (...) (24 years ago, 4-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: next year —Jason Maxwell
     (...) Anderson drives me up the wall, that's just the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Beside's it's not particularly obscure, and not the only mistake he made in laying that scene out. (...) OK, I'm a SW freak and I didn't even (...) (24 years ago, 6-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: next year —Bryan Hodges
   (...) Yeah, the Sun Crusher was kind of cheesy... an ultimate weapon more powerful than the Death Star? Wasn't the Death Star the "ultimate weapon?" The ability to destroy a star, what's next? Whole galaxies? (...) The Jedi Academy books were pretty (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: next year —Eric Joslin
   (...) That was my beef. The Death Star was bad enough, get over it. Come up with something more interesting that has to be defeated. There are other interesting conflicts besides Big Bad Technological Things. (...) That's why I never read them, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.starwars)