 Star Wars / 5733
Re: NEW Mindstorms set shown...it does walk!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:54:12 GMT

Knowing how the Microscout works, the motor is facing the rear.  In the
enlarged pic, you can just make some teeth on a large gear that is being
mostly blocked by the microscout.  There must be a small pinion on the
microscout and the larger gear is below the pinion.  This is leading to a
lower gearbox which is transferring power to the front and rear legs under the
microscout.  Now, its hard to see, but in the lower frame, connected to the
center of each upper leg technic beam, there is a grey technic pin in one of
the holes.  This is a relatively new part, but I have seen it before.  Its a
slightly egg shaped flat piece, like the technic cam, but smaller.  Out of one
end is a technic pin, the other end has a half spacer attached with a cross
cut hole down the center for a technic cross-shaped shaft.  This basically
acts as a cam, and lifts the leg and moves it forward as it spins.  The
highest part of the leg is hinged to ride up and down on a link that connects
to the upper frame, which leads to the hollow canopy above the microscout.
Pretty swift design.  I was wondering why the legs were so lanky, its to save
weight to allow a single pin to raise each leg effectively.  Then its all in
the timing of the gearing from there to make it walk.  This is a good design
to add a bunch of mindstorm motors too.  It could then walk(1 motor) and shake
its head(2nd motor) and then use a fiberoptic set with micromotor to make the
guns cycle in and out and light up.  Too bad it will probably run about 100
bucks.  They should sell it without the microscout for those of us with the DD
kit.  Anyhow, if anyone doesn't know what I am talking about with the joints,
just ask.

Jason F.