 Star Wars / 3820
Re: Preliminary AT-AT pic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:02:48 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Derek Schin writes:
There's still some things that need to change... the back leg isn't far
enough back... the notches in the center of the body need to be shifted back
slightly too... and of course I have to do the whole interior :) (but you
can't see that in the picture, whew!) But anyway, have fun!

What a gorgeous model!  It looks dead-on scale wise--what did you use for
measurements?  Or did you freehand it?  Either way, it looks terrific!

:Derek

Well, I went by a couple sources-- the one I used the most though was the
"Essential Guide to Weapons & Vehicles"... it shows a nice side, front, and
rear view of the AT-AT. Actually, it's the same blueprint that appears on the
official Star Wars site...

Anyway, I did some of my own research, concluding it should be between 22 and
23 meters, only to find later on that someone else already had done all that
and came up with 22.5 meters as the 'real' height (almost 75 ft high)... Then I
basically converted all that into minifig scale (about 7mm = 1 minifig foot),
and built each part in accordance with the blueprint...

Of course, there were a few errors, and a few things that were hard to
determine from the blueprints, so there are some errors-- but for the most part
it came out pretty well. It's about 52 cm tall (about 1 foot 8.5 inches), which
comes out to about 23 meters tall in minifig scale. (I think Shaun asked how
tall it was yesterday, but I couldn't measure it last night since it's in
pieces ready to have the interior completely re-vamped... but I remember it was
about 23 meters in minifig terms...)

Anyway, I'll probably post more pictures this weekend... MAYBE this week too,
we'll see...

DaveE