 Star Wars / 3690
Re: The beginings of my modular Star Wars base.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:28:34 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Hey All,

Sorry it took me so long to respond (esp. to Eric, who sent me an e-mail
last week which I never replied to - oops!).  I love the idea of some
sort of accumulated collage.  Hopefully hopefully hopefully my AT-AT
will be all set within the next two weeks or so (waiting for parts
*sigh*), and the AT-ST is still stalking about my room scouring for
Rebels, so that's available.

Cool! The AT-ST would look great alongside the AT-AT's!

As for the Ice/Forest debate - I'd actually lean more towards the
forest, myself.  When I was taking pictures of the AT-ST
(web.mit.edu/~sullis3/www/ATSTPIC1.htm), I just threw together some
foliage sections and green baseplates, and I was pleased with the
result.  Of course, the model towered over most of the trees, but as
ground cover, I liked the effect, and with a brown background ... :)
Additionally, since my modified speederbikes still use many of the
pieces from the sets, they are rather brown-intensive, which looks great
on a forested terrain, but a little conspicuous on an icy background.
Not insurmountable, certainly.

Hmm.... I think maybe I'll invest in a bunch of Naboo Swamps-- they've got a
bunch of brown pieces for color-- and even some green! We can also maybe grab
some brown baseplates from the new Ninja sets? Might look good... I'll have to
see... As for trees, I have a mildly good selection of trees, etc... but I
don't think I've got stuff that'll compare to the redwoods of Endor.

SO.... I'm thinking it'll be kind of a forest clearing, next to a hollowed out
mountain-type-deal? That way, right around the base of the hill/mountain, we
have the brown baseplates, which turn into green further from the mountain...
Then we can have lots of brush-type-plants around (seeing as the lego 'trees'
are kinda the size of Xmas trees-- about 6-8 ft. tall).... Sound good?

Though I do have lots and lots of white ... Oh, the possiblities!

Hmm... We could even do both, I guess... Depicting both Hoth and the
semi-Endor-ish planet... The base goes in a line down the middle with one end
being a Hoth-like mountain w/ snow, and the other end being a more earthy
mountain... Then have an AT-AT on either side, attacking the base? Kinda makes
for two separate scenes. I guess also it doesn't HAVE to be a mountain, I'm
just seeing the picture in my head of a BURP mountain with snow or foliage
covering it looking really cool...

Well, I'm one of the least opinionated people I know, so I'll go along
with the crowd, in any case.

Yeah, I'll check tonight and see the feasibility for me either way... That's
really the only thing swaying me, I think

In other news, how are other people's projects coming along?  Dave?  My
AT-AT is nearing completion, as I mentioned.  I've got the inside done
(internal garage houses 4 speeder bikes and includes a mechanism to lock
them in place, engine room, seating for 30 plus standing room for at
least ten more - the stats list troop capacity as 40, so I made sure
this worked - cockpit seating two pilots and stands one or two
commanding officers), most of the walls, 2/3 of the roof, all of the
hips and "waist", three-and-a-half of the feet, one of the legs, and
lots of additional detailing.  The other legs (and half of a foot) will
simply be repetitions, but these are waiting on pieces.

Mine's just about the same as it was at the time of the last NELUG meeting...
I've been working out how to design the interior, and I'm still undecided about
some things--

A. Speeder Bike Garage
   The Technical Journal and the Incredible Cross Sections books give different
placements for it... the Cross-Sections shows it on the lower deck, and the
Technical Journal with it on the upper deck, with a roof hatch for entry/exit.
So I think I'm going to go with the top placement, and have the bikes load in
backwards so they can 'jump out flying'. But as of yet, I haven't got a
mechanism for it...

B. Troop seating
   The Cross Sections book shows little harnesses for each troop seat, which I
made using the little 1x1 grey/black antennae. The problem is this makes each
seat take up a 4x3 area-- and THAT means I can really only seat about 20 troops
(unless I take out isles) But it looks pretty cool. Alternately, I could just
do regular old benches. But I'm undecided as of yet, since the harnesses look
pretty cool. They're light grey w/ a 2x2 dk grey plate for the seat 'cushion'
area, then a 2x2 light grey brick separating seats. The back is a long 1x light
grey brick, and each seat has a headrest with the harness that fits over the
trooper.

C. Escape hatches
   The Technical Journal (and the Essential Guide, I think) shows escape
hatches on the upper level (2 per side), but they don't show troop placement.
The Cross Sections book doesn't seem to show the escape hatches, but shows the
troop placement directly over where the escape hatches should be! So in order
to get to the forward hatches, they'd have to somehow move the troop bench,
which appears to be pretty sturdy-- almost built into the wall... Hence, I'm
not sure exactly how to place the benches...

Oh, and I saw this somewhere, and it works perfectly!  To make an
Imperial Officer:  Black Torso, Black Legs/Waist, Black Arms, Black
Hands, Luke's Face, and a Black "cap" - a black version of the cap worn
by police officers and delivery people.  It looks really great,
especially alongside some scout troopers.  No pictures yet, but they
will all be forthcoming.  Patience, patience ...

A black baseball cap? Hmm.... I guess I'll have to see that one... right now
I'm picturing him look like he's on a S.W.A.T. team... I'll make one when I get
home...

Speaking of patience, when do the first glimpses of sets for the new
year usually take place?  I saw a post on this a couple days ago, but
promptly forgot.  *sigh*  I think we're getting close to sighting-season
though, aren't we?

I certainly hope so! I can't wait to see what the new sets are gonna look like!

DaveE