 Star Wars / 3689
Re: The beginings of my modular Star Wars base.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:46:38 GMT

Hey All,

Sorry it took me so long to respond (esp. to Eric, who sent me an e-mail
last week which I never replied to - oops!).  I love the idea of some
sort of accumulated collage.  Hopefully hopefully hopefully my AT-AT
will be all set within the next two weeks or so (waiting for parts
*sigh*), and the AT-ST is still stalking about my room scouring for
Rebels, so that's available.

As for the Ice/Forest debate - I'd actually lean more towards the
forest, myself.  When I was taking pictures of the AT-ST
(web.mit.edu/~sullis3/www/ATSTPIC1.htm), I just threw together some
foliage sections and green baseplates, and I was pleased with the
result.  Of course, the model towered over most of the trees, but as
ground cover, I liked the effect, and with a brown background ... :)
Additionally, since my modified speederbikes still use many of the
pieces from the sets, they are rather brown-intensive, which looks great
on a forested terrain, but a little conspicuous on an icy background.
Not insurmountable, certainly.

Though I do have lots and lots of white ... Oh, the possiblities!

Well, I'm one of the least opinionated people I know, so I'll go along
with the crowd, in any case.

In other news, how are other people's projects coming along?  Dave?  My
AT-AT is nearing completion, as I mentioned.  I've got the inside done
(internal garage houses 4 speeder bikes and includes a mechanism to lock
them in place, engine room, seating for 30 plus standing room for at
least ten more - the stats list troop capacity as 40, so I made sure
this worked - cockpit seating two pilots and stands one or two
commanding officers), most of the walls, 2/3 of the roof, all of the
hips and "waist", three-and-a-half of the feet, one of the legs, and
lots of additional detailing.  The other legs (and half of a foot) will
simply be repetitions, but these are waiting on pieces.

Oh, and I saw this somewhere, and it works perfectly!  To make an
Imperial Officer:  Black Torso, Black Legs/Waist, Black Arms, Black
Hands, Luke's Face, and a Black "cap" - a black version of the cap worn
by police officers and delivery people.  It looks really great,
especially alongside some scout troopers.  No pictures yet, but they
will all be forthcoming.  Patience, patience ...

Speaking of patience, when do the first glimpses of sets for the new
year usually take place?  I saw a post on this a couple days ago, but
promptly forgot.  *sigh*  I think we're getting close to sighting-season
though, aren't we?

All right, take care all!  There won't be any building tonight, it's
Lauren's birthday, but I'm starting to get giddy with excitement
regarding the completion of the project.  As a side note, does anybody
have a large supply of 1x2 Gray (of course:) tiles with one-stud on top
that they'd like to part with for cold hard cash?

This is the most disjointed and free-associative posting I've made in a
loooonnng time.  Good luck to all valiant decipherers out there!

Shaun

David Eaton wrote:
Well I actually have a number of thoughts on all of this.

1.  It could be an Ice planet but it doesn't have to be Hoth.  I am really
looking to go "Freestyle" with this and use general ideas from the movies but
really go more to our own design and develope our own story set in the Star
Wars Universe but just not the known Star Wars Universe.

2.  They had AT-AT's at Endor you know :).  Not that I want to model Endor and
a bunch of over-stuffed teddy bears but there is no rule that AT-AT's only
work on snow.  (Although that is how most people think of them).

3.  Although my focal point is the B-Wing hanger I want the hanger to be big
enough for other fighters and small frieghters so we could have
SnowSpeeders/X-Wings etc on the floor as well.

Do you think this fits?  I definitely want to try and fit an AT-AT or two into
the scene.

Yeah, it doesn't HAVE to be Hoth, just thought it might be more
recognizeable, what with an AT-AT (or AT-ATs? Shaun? :) ) approaching the
base... But we could also go for a more earthy tone too-- I could try and work
in some touches of brown and green...

As for the hanger, yeah, big is the way to go! Fit a whole squad of B-Wings and
some other odds and ends (X-Wings, Y-Wings, Snowspeeders, etc.) The one thing
I'm thinking might be a problem for me is that I think I only have enough to do
1 exterior section... MAYBE two... I'm just picturing kind of a T shaped base
with the base of the T being my exterior module and the other modules extending
beyond it on both sides... That might look a little silly... Although, there's
no rule about lining them up all in a line with the exterior at the end
either... But if I do a Hoth scene with white snow, there's more of a chance I
could get two baseplates done (I've got much more white than brown & green)
Anyway, I'll take a look tonight and see roughly what I can squeeze out of my
remainging grey, white, brown, and green... I almost wonder if I have enough
tan to cover a good portion of a large baseplate (Tatooine!)... I could
probably use tan baseplates for the exterior parts... hmmm...
<does some calculations, returns to message>
I have exactly enough 16x32 tan baseplates to cover two 48x48 baseplates (9 of
'em)! So that's a possibility too...

DaveE