 Star Wars / 3699
Re: The beginings of my modular Star Wars base.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 03:41:03 GMT

Wow!  This is sounding better all the time.  I just wish we had a little more
time before Mindfest.  Oh well by the time Mindfest 2000 comes along this could
be hugh if we continue working on it.

<snip>

As for the Ice/Forest debate - I'd actually lean more towards the
forest, myself.  When I was taking pictures of the AT-ST
(web.mit.edu/~sullis3/www/ATSTPIC1.htm), I just threw together some
foliage sections and green baseplates, and I was pleased with the
result.  Of course, the model towered over most of the trees, but as
ground cover, I liked the effect, and with a brown background ... :)
Additionally, since my modified speederbikes still use many of the
pieces from the sets, they are rather brown-intensive, which looks great
on a forested terrain, but a little conspicuous on an icy background.
Not insurmountable, certainly.

Hmm.... I think maybe I'll invest in a bunch of Naboo Swamps-- they've got a
bunch of brown pieces for color-- and even some green! We can also maybe grab
some brown baseplates from the new Ninja sets? Might look good... I'll have to
see... As for trees, I have a mildly good selection of trees, etc... but I
don't think I've got stuff that'll compare to the redwoods of Endor.

One thing I like about the Forest Idea is I would be able to camoflage the base
with vines/bushes/flowers etc. instead of just White.  I just think that with
all the Gray going into the base that color needs to come somewhere.

SO.... I'm thinking it'll be kind of a forest clearing, next to a hollowed out
mountain-type-deal? That way, right around the base of the hill/mountain, we
have the brown baseplates, which turn into green further from the mountain...
Then we can have lots of brush-type-plants around (seeing as the lego 'trees'
are kinda the size of Xmas trees-- about 6-8 ft. tall).... Sound good?

This sounds really good.  I have even seen some decent trees made out of Brown
Bricks and some of the Green foliage parts that could be really cool around the
edges.

Though I do have lots and lots of white ... Oh, the possiblities!

Hmm... We could even do both, I guess... Depicting both Hoth and the
semi-Endor-ish planet... The base goes in a line down the middle with one end
being a Hoth-like mountain w/ snow, and the other end being a more earthy
mountain... Then have an AT-AT on either side, attacking the base? Kinda makes
for two separate scenes. I guess also it doesn't HAVE to be a mountain, I'm
just seeing the picture in my head of a BURP mountain with snow or foliage
covering it looking really cool...

We could even do both and just alternate exteriours of the base depending on
how we feel.

<snip>

Oh, and I saw this somewhere, and it works perfectly!  To make an
Imperial Officer:  Black Torso, Black Legs/Waist, Black Arms, Black
Hands, Luke's Face, and a Black "cap" - a black version of the cap worn
by police officers and delivery people.  It looks really great,
especially alongside some scout troopers.  No pictures yet, but they
will all be forthcoming.  Patience, patience ...

A black baseball cap? Hmm.... I guess I'll have to see that one... right now
I'm picturing him look like he's on a S.W.A.T. team... I'll make one when I • get
home...

I will have to try this as well.  (I think Shaun ment the sailor/porter type
hat not the baseball one)  I was actually thinking that if they had a Black
version of the Blue "Union Soldier" Cap in the Wild West sets (there is a Dk
Gray version in Rock Raiders as well.

Speaking of patience, when do the first glimpses of sets for the new
year usually take place?  I saw a post on this a couple days ago, but
promptly forgot.  *sigh*  I think we're getting close to sighting-season
though, aren't we?

I certainly hope so! I can't wait to see what the new sets are gonna look
like!

I know for one I can't wait either.  No Jr'izing please!!!

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

DaveE