 Star Wars / 3681
Re: The beginings of my modular Star Wars base.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:16:51 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
That would be fine.  A lot of the detail is going to be added over time and
inbetween service pack orders.  Currently I am trying to figure out this
Maintenance sled.  I think using Technic will give me the best look although I
unfortunatly don't have alot of Technic at the moment.

Maintenance sled?

Well I actually have a number of thoughts on all of this.

1.  It could be an Ice planet but it doesn't have to be Hoth.  I am really
looking to go "Freestyle" with this and use general ideas from the movies but
really go more to our own design and develope our own story set in the Star
Wars Universe but just not the known Star Wars Universe.

2.  They had AT-AT's at Endor you know :).  Not that I want to model Endor and
a bunch of over-stuffed teddy bears but there is no rule that AT-AT's only
work on snow.  (Although that is how most people think of them).

3.  Although my focal point is the B-Wing hanger I want the hanger to be big
enough for other fighters and small frieghters so we could have
SnowSpeeders/X-Wings etc on the floor as well.

Do you think this fits?  I definitely want to try and fit an AT-AT or two into
the scene.

Yeah, it doesn't HAVE to be Hoth, just thought it might be more
recognizeable, what with an AT-AT (or AT-ATs? Shaun? :) ) approaching the
base... But we could also go for a more earthy tone too-- I could try and work
in some touches of brown and green...

As for the hanger, yeah, big is the way to go! Fit a whole squad of B-Wings and
some other odds and ends (X-Wings, Y-Wings, Snowspeeders, etc.) The one thing
I'm thinking might be a problem for me is that I think I only have enough to do
1 exterior section... MAYBE two... I'm just picturing kind of a T shaped base
with the base of the T being my exterior module and the other modules extending
beyond it on both sides... That might look a little silly... Although, there's
no rule about lining them up all in a line with the exterior at the end
either... But if I do a Hoth scene with white snow, there's more of a chance I
could get two baseplates done (I've got much more white than brown & green)
Anyway, I'll take a look tonight and see roughly what I can squeeze out of my
remainging grey, white, brown, and green... I almost wonder if I have enough
tan to cover a good portion of a large baseplate (Tatooine!)... I could
probably use tan baseplates for the exterior parts... hmmm...
<does some calculations, returns to message>
I have exactly enough 16x32 tan baseplates to cover two 48x48 baseplates (9 of
'em)! So that's a possibility too...

DaveE