 Star Wars / 1908
Re: Minifig distribution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:19:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
On Wed, 5 May 1999 17:34:09 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com> wrote:

Ooo I like the technic pin idea. That would have been really cool. But you
really couldn't cut the corners off those 2x2 tt's without compromising the
piece, it just wouldn't work. It would have to be redesigned.

But designing the R2 body to accept the 2x2 turntable top-part should have
been doable.  Oops, wait; the pin from the turntable top would probably
collide with the Technic-pegs from the leg pieces.  Well, that shouldn't
have been an unsolvable problem for the part-designers.

I agree. Assuming they didn't make a new 2x2 round turntable piece or stick a
pin on top of his torso, they could have made a 2x2 round tile with a pin
sticking up. Hmm, well maybe not. It would add further height. There's already
a bit more space between the torso printing and the head printing than I like.

As for size, R2 *is* too tall, compared to minifigs, but I don't see how
TLG could have made him shorter (or narrower) and still made a decent R2.

You're right. I think more proportion problems would have presented themselves
if he had not been a standard torso width of 2.

What bugs me is the shape of his feet.  I wish they had smaller feet, with
cutouts to fit into studs.

You mean have his footprints look like two open rectangles like this:

_     _
|       |
|_     _|

rather than two complete rectangles? I guess that would be okay with me. I wish
his feet weren't as triangular looking from the side.

But my #1 R2 complaint is still the printing on his head.  Blech.

Yeah. I guess the dome piece lacks personality or "eyes". Whenever I look at
the real R2, all those little lenses on his head I see as eyes. And IMO eyes
more than anything else on a face confer personality and possibly some sort of
soul (even the eyes of a blind man). R2 needs that really big lense painted on
there. But I agree: it could be worse and better.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to seeing the head and body parts used in other
applications.

Mee too. I'd like to see more kinds of droids made. With R2 and R5 pieces we
can now have more variety. :) I made a minifig scale droid once too. It's
minifig scale, but if it were translated to real life it would still be about 7
feet tall.

Seems like the legs could be used in other ways, too.  But
I'm feeling like it would be unlikely.

Well, I suppose Town Jr would find a use somehow... ;P

-Tom McD.
when replying, please shallack the spamcake.