 Star Wars / 1911
Re: R2-D2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 18:00:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:

It's really a shame how badly they ruined R2.  :-(

I wish they would've just made the bottom of the head and the top of the
body both perfectly flat (no studs at all) but with Technic peg holes.  Then
you just connect the head to the body using a Technic peg.

Or if that's too complex for kids, build the peg into either the head or the
body...that's what they did for the legs, after all, and those work great!
<snipped impressive ascii art>

That's it. You hit the head design that I was thinking of. Odd that for the
sake of playability TLG opted not to include a rotating head.

Oh, and IMHO they should've nixed the stud on top of his head too.  :-)
R2-D2 is the first LEGO piece I've ever felt that I wanted to take an X-Acto
knife to and fix.  :-)

Better yet, they could have left the stud, and moved it to one side so it could
have been one of his "eyes". Two studs would have worked too, one on each side
of his head. It might have interfered with the painting process, but they
already have the printing lined up to face "forward" in relation to the head
piece's socket so it sounds like it could have been done. Plus, that would have
made for interesting alternative models to have studs there.

p.s.  A freebie bonus if the peg were in Artoo's head would be that it would
spin like a little top.  :)

Then you could re-enact R2 getting fried by a blaster! :)

-Tom McD.