 Star Wars / 1963
Re: R2-D2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 14:04:07 GMT

On Thu, 6 May 1999 18:46:30 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

I wish they would've just made the bottom of the head and the top of the
body both perfectly flat (no studs at all) but with Technic peg holes.  Then
you just connect the head to the body using a Technic peg.

Or if that's too complex for kids, build the peg into either the head or the
body...that's what they did for the legs, after all, and those work great!

As I said, trying to stick a technic peg into the R2 body would interfere
with the leg pegs.  So your diagram on the left is/was more likely than the
one on the right, or my added illustration of your idea of using a separate
technic peg.

     peg          peg
   in body      in head
      __           __
    .'  `.       .'  `.
    |____|       |____|
    __||__       ______
   || == ||     || == ||
   || [] ||     || [] ||
   || [] ||     || [] ||
   ||____||     ||____||
   ||\||/||     ||\||/||
  /__\  /__\   /__\  /__\

    separate
      peg
       __
     .'  `.
     |____|

       ==
     ______
    || == ||
    || [] ||
    || [] ||
    ||____||
    ||\||/||
   /__\  /__\

Oh, and IMHO they should've nixed the stud on top of his head too.  :-)

Nope.  With the stud, it's a general-use piece, a 2x2x1 bell jar.  Except
not hollow. :(  The inside stuff seems to exist primarily to allow a
Technic peg to be inserted in the head.  Maybe the design for the
head-piece was finalized before the overall design on R2 was finished, and
TLG had been considering using the technic-peg approach for attaching the
head.  But they couldn't (as in, didn't have time and resources) resolve
the head/body/leg attachment issues, so the final design didn't use technic
pegs.  But the head-piece retains evidence that TLG was thinking of doing
it a different way.

Steve