 Star Wars / 1909
Re: Argh! I've given in! I bought SW Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey all,

I'd sworn I'd *never* get caught up in the Star Wars hype, especially with
getting Episode One sets before the dang movie even comes out.

I was terribly, terribly wrong.  :-,

Welcome to dark side... my son. <respirator exhale>

As an apology gift (1), I got Barbara the X-Wing set.  And the Y-Wing / TIE
Fighter set.  And the Landspeeder.  And the Speeder Bikes.  If I had
realized at the cash register that I was one set from being old series
complete, I would've gone back for that one.  :-P

Wow. You're just the best husband on the planet. Do you give seminars? I've
been looking for a non-Olympic excuse to come to Utah ;)

The SW sets are the most intelligently thought-out Lego sets I've seen for
1999 *and* 1998.  Someone at TLG has obviously read some of Karim's theory
about sculpting avoiding "studs-up", and I hope they apply it to more
models.

Yes, they have certainly rejuvenized the space theme in a way that's been
needed for years. I would not be bummed out AT ALL if Karim got a job designing
for TLG. A *decent* mech theme would definitely sell.

The new pieces are pretty keen, too.  In fact, there's not one new piece I
don't like.  I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that most of the
minifigs (including the Scout Troopers) have faces and helmets / hair pieces
that I can use in almost any other context.

Garshk. I hate to agree so much and R2-"meetoo" all over the place, but I also
was pleasantly surprised. Lots of good basic pieces in dark grey, enough to
make me wonder what Insectoids was to supposed to be about anyway ;)

obmoraldilemma:  Barbara and I went back to Target to get Episode One sets.
The checkout girl goofed when scanning our boxes; we almost got the Mos Espa
Pod Race set, a $89 set, for $29.  Some day Barbara will forgive me for
going back and paying full price.  :-,

Ooo, ow! That hurts! What did you say that checkout girl's name was? ;) Anyway,
don't forget to impress upon your wife (aka a light "rubbing in") the
importance of an honest husband as it applies to other key areas of your
marriage.

Some notes on the sets:

Mer Majesty's Secret Death Squad is getting some new, fearsome riot control
machines.

In other words, I'm gonna play all night!  :-,

Don't forget about work the next day. It's so easy to do when you've got new
lego!

1.  You know, the kind that happens in a relationship from time to time.

More times than I feel comfortable admitting..  :-`

May the discounts be with you.
-Tom McD.
when replying, note that even Mos Eisley won't sell spamcake.