 Star Wars / 1890
1889  |  1891
Subject:
Argh! I've given in! I bought SW Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 21:59:24 GMT

Hey all,

I'd sworn I'd *never* get caught up in the Star Wars hype, especially with
getting Episode One sets before the dang movie even comes out.

I was terribly, terribly wrong.  :-,

As an apology gift (1), I got Barbara the X-Wing set.  And the Y-Wing / TIE
Fighter set.  And the Landspeeder.  And the Speeder Bikes.  If I had
realized at the cash register that I was one set from being old series
complete, I would've gone back for that one.  :-P

The SW sets are the most intelligently thought-out Lego sets I've seen for
1999 *and* 1998.  Someone at TLG has obviously read some of Karim's theory
about sculpting avoiding "studs-up", and I hope they apply it to more
models.

The new pieces are pretty keen, too.  In fact, there's not one new piece I
don't like.  I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that most of the
minifigs (including the Scout Troopers) have faces and helmets / hair pieces
that I can use in almost any other context.

obmoraldilemma:  Barbara and I went back to Target to get Episode One sets.
The checkout girl goofed when scanning our boxes; we almost got the Mos Espa
Pod Race set, a $89 set, for $29.  Some day Barbara will forgive me for
going back and paying full price.  :-,

Some notes on the sets:

The Speeder Bikes were rebuilt so that the rear landing gear swing back just
a bit during flight.

Darth's TIE Fighter is getting an overhaul to change it into a regular TIE.

The Droid Starfighter is undergoing a massive redesign to give it pivoting
legs and to allow transformation without severing the head from the body.

Mer Majesty's Secret Death Squad is getting some new, fearsome riot control
machines.

In other words, I'm gonna play all night!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  You know, the kind that happens in a relationship from time to time.
:-,

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."