 Star Wars / 16563
Re: He just keeps getting dumber - no original cuts? what's next?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:19:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons wrote:

At this point, I'm not going to be surprised by anything George does.  He is
so encircled in sycophants that he could sneeze into a napking and they'd
all tell him it was a great idea.  From my perspective, the saddest thing is
watching a once very talented individual pollute and destroy the once
fantastic universe that they created.  Even so, 'Empire' is and will always
be my favorite of the original three and George neither directed the film
nor wrote the screenplay.  So you could certainly argue that he was a good
ideas man, but not a good director or writer.

I think he was (key word 'was') both a good director and writer.  Don't forget
what came before Star Wars.  THX 1138 and American Graffiti are both solid, if
not classic, works of the screen.

In one of the documentaries
on the making of the movies (I think it's the one on Empire, oddly enough!)
he says that "a special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."  I
wish he would remember that sometime.

Episode I proved that an entire movie without a story is also a pretty boring
thing.  ;)

An article in a video store magazine I read just today had someone's post
from the Internet saying "Years from now I'll be watching A New Hope and
I'll lean over to my grandson and whisper learnedly, 'Remember, Han fired
first!'"  Hit the nail on the head with that one.

For me it's what happens next that is the greatest tragedy of all of his
monkeying around.  When Han leaves the cantina in the original there is a great
sense of danger and tension.  He can't stay, he must get back to the ship.  As
well, Obi Wan and Luke are on their way but also being followed.  It's time to
go.  But wait....... why not edit in some ancient test footage and animate over
a pathetic Jaba so that Han can slow down, take a minute and have a
'conversation'.  It ruins completely the pacing of the film.  In any DVD you'd
see of a current movie that shot would end up in the deleted scenes because an
editor of any talent would know to cut it.  And don't forget that it was really
just test footage that was never completed.  Was it that he couldn't complete it
because of money or technical reasons?  It doesn't matter... it worked out for
the best.  The original cutting and pacing of that sequence was perfect.

Less is more.  (Filmmaking 101)  The shower scene in Psycho works because of
what you don't see, not what you do see.  See what I mean?  :)

George needs to go back to a community college and take some basic filmmaking
courses.  This isn't rocket science, it's just movies that happen to have
rockets in them.  ;)

Maybe he'll just keep updating all the movies like a soap opera.  "You won't
believe who's pregnant or who's gonna die this year on 'Star Wars'!"

To be honest... I feel bad for George.  It must be a sad life not to have a
single friend who loves you or trusts you enough to put their hand on your
shoulder and let you know when you've gone so far off track.  I'm a lucky
person... I have friends and family who would care enough to do that for me.

Signed a really lucky guy.... unlike George.

Allan B.