 Star Wars / 16500
Re: Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Bedford wrote:

It's not 'they', it's 'him'.  It's George.  It's all about how disconnected from
the real world George has become.

I think that smarmy git Rick McCallum can be held at least partially
responsible.

He forgets that the films he released
in 77, 80 and 83 were done back then.  They aren't broken and don't need fixing.

Indeed. My wife bought me the special edition trilogy for Christmas a couple of
years ago, much to my chagrin. When I finally found the real editions on Ebay it
was like a weight being lifted.

He needs to remember how he was
one of the biggest opponents of colorization back in the 80's.

I did not know that. Funny.

Going back and
updating old films... seemed like a good idea to Ted Turner.  Seemed like a bad
idea at the time to George Lucas.  Too bad money can't buy you common sense.

Quite the contrary in fact.

There are also rumours of 'archive' editions but I'm not holding my breath.

That's what I was referring to. Imagine if you will Darth Vader's death scene
with pretty boy Hayden's head digitally superimposed. <Shudder>

If he does someday decide (out of the goodness of his golden heart) to
put out what fans have asked for.... he may find he doesn't have as many fans as
he once did.

It's strange that there hasn't been a Howard the Duck: Special Edition. Are we
supposed to conclude from that that he was much more satisfied with the final
product of that film than with Star Wars?

Let's hope there's a new hope and that George gets a clue,

I doubt it. I'll watch the final film, more out of morbid curiosity than
anything. I hope the kids like it.

Allister