 Star Wars / 16562
Re: Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 03:16:51 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Allan Bedford wrote:

He can digitally 'correct' the films until they are nothing but CG characters
talking to CG characters again CG backgrounds and so on and so on.  He can edit
the real actors right out of every scene for all I care.  But he needs to
remember what made those films so good in the first place... the story.  It
wasn't bad special effects that made those films inadequate.  It was the great
story and the lasting entertainment value that made them special from the
beginning.  He then needs to realize the value of putting out the original
theatrical releases for those of us who have already paid for his ability to
tinker around at will the way that he does now.  He needs to remember how he was
one of the biggest opponents of colorization back in the 80's.  Going back and
updating old films... seemed like a good idea to Ted Turner.  Seemed like a bad
idea at the time to George Lucas.  Too bad money can't buy you common sense.

And I'm sure Lucas would advance this as the counter: Ted Turner wasn't the
director/writer/producer/visionary who made the films he colorized.  Turner was
stomping on somebody else's vision.  Lucas is modifying his own work,

The other view is why mess with a classic?  Yes, the change in technology is
very apparent from the old series to the new, but if it was such an issue then
why wait 20+ years to get on with it?  Do I need 20 digital skeletons instead of
the hand-animated seven in Harryhausen's Jason and the Argonauts?  That is the
one scene that inspired most of the special effects people working today.

I haven't cared for a number of "special editions" or Director's Indecisions
Specials.  Try and figure out what in the world is going on in Blade Runner if
you haven't seen the orginal with Ford's voice-over (and I think that is the
only version out on DVD and I simply won't buy it).  Some nice scenes were added
to Aliens, but one big long sequence only dragged the movie out without really
adding anything substantial - pacing is part of the movie.  Close Encounters had
a Special Edition 1.0 that added some new scenes and deleted some others, making
it a worse film, and then added back in the deleted scenes for the 2.0 version.

At least with the Lord of the Rings the special editions were planned for from
the word go rather than some as some retroactive revisionism.

Having said all that, the Special Edition of Star Wars didn't bother me, though
I haven't seen the revised 2nd and 3rd films (ignoring revised numbering).  My
son won't know the difference anyway.  :-)

-->Bruce<--