 Star Wars / 16560
16559  |  16561
Subject:
He just keeps getting dumber - no original cuts? what's next?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:42:33 GMT

I knew there was a reason I kept my widescreen VHS trilogy box set of
remastered originals around (the one with Vader's helmet on an all black
box, very cool).

At this point, I'm not going to be surprised by anything George does.  He is
so encircled in sycophants that he could sneeze into a napking and they'd
all tell him it was a great idea.  From my perspective, the saddest thing is
watching a once very talented individual pollute and destroy the once
fantastic universe that they created.  Even so, 'Empire' is and will always
be my favorite of the original three and George neither directed the film
nor wrote the screenplay.  So you could certainly argue that he was a good
ideas man, but not a good director or writer.  In one of the documentaries
on the making of the movies (I think it's the one on Empire, oddly enough!)
he says that "a special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."  I
wish he would remember that sometime.

An article in a video store magazine I read just today had someone's post
from the Internet saying "Years from now I'll be watching A New Hope and
I'll lean over to my grandson and whisper learnedly, 'Remember, Han fired
first!'"  Hit the nail on the head with that one.

Maybe he'll just keep updating all the movies like a soap opera.  "You won't
believe who's pregnant or who's gonna die this year on 'Star Wars'!"

Dave