 Star Wars / 1643
Re: How will/should they...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:55:15 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Kingsley writes:
If TLG were to make one racially spacific
character then they would have to go all the way and that would open up one
hugh can of worms that I don't think TLG will want to get involved in.

I think we all think race equality is an important issue as I also think TLG
does but they have stood by their "Generic Yellow" for so long I don't see
them changing their standards now.

I don't think adding one more generic skin tone requires them to seek realism
or to mirror local demographics. I don't have a problem with the idea of canary
yellow representing caucasians, latinos, asians, etc. But I think it is much
more of a stretch to imagine that the yellow equally represents people of
darker skin tones. The issue was somewhat moot back when all Lego people looked
like "have a nice day" stickers, but now that they've got facial hair and scars
and other very specific features (even gender!) I think it's difficult to see
the yellow skin as something quite so generic or neutral.

I think there's a broad middle ground between racial exclusion and the
measured, token multiculturalism of so much modern children's fare. I hope Lego
will recognize that they have already progressed past the the point of
comfortable neutrality, and will take steps to ensure that they do not
embarrass themselves by clinging to their product's increasingly remote
history.

And I must point out that there's really little reason to suggest that a black
girl will only be happy playing with a black Barbie, or a white boy with a
white Ken...

Josh Spaulding
http://members.tripod.com/~josh_spaulding/