 Star Wars / 1578
Re: How will/should they...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:13:21 GMT

Mike Poindexter wrote:

It is my recollection that there have been mini-figs that ALREADY changed that
yellow only policy.  I do believe that Darth Vader has a grey head.  If they
can do grey, why not brown?  I think black may be out, since it will not
contrast enough to the paint.

Hmm, a sickly-grey, scarred head hardly compares with a deliberately racially
specific brown head.  IMHO, Black would be far more offensive than brown, but
either one, I'd hate for TLG to get into the racial game.  If everybody is canary
yellow, no-one can complain.

In my opinion, even in doing more Classic Era SW sets, there is no reason why they
would need to do Lando.  He is a prominent character in the story, but he is not a
prominent character VISUALLY.  He is not inherently tied to any particular
ship/setting.  For example, Story-wise, Lando is a  very important character on
Bespin, but visually, I don't think he gets nearly as much "face time" as Leia,
Han, and Chewie.

And even if they do a MF set, there is absolutely NO reason for them to include a
Lando figure.

The following response is Off-Topic:

Also, there are other places that Lego is marketed that is MUCH MORE racially
divided than USA.  I hear that people in Japan are very anti-black.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what your source on this is, but I would double check that.
More accurately, the Japanese are very sensitive to cultural & social intrusions,
and when ANY person (regardless of race) enters their country without expressing
respect for their culture and history and language, there is a significant amount
of distrust and disassociation.  In Japan, like in many other cultures around the
world, there is a binary racial catagorization... you are either Japanese
(Nihonjin), or Non-Japanese (Gaijin).  From personal experience, I can tell you
that gaijin (whatever their race) can greatly enhance their acceptance with a
little sensitivity and interest in the local culture (ie: learning some of the
language, showing a willingnes to adapt and *act* japanese as much as possible).
A friend of mine in Japan who is black was invited to more homes by total
strangers and made more friends in 6 months than I did in a year, probably because
he stood out in a crowd a lot more than I did.

just my 2 yen
--Karim