 Star Wars / 16130
Re: Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:12:57 GMT

Mine has been on display for 9 months so far with no problems. However, I
had noticed early on that there was a potential problem with the nose. My
quick fix (which seems to have held up nicely) was to move the front main
support from it's intended location, forward so that it comes out through
the cargo bay opening.
Chris

"Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message
When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of
course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. • Lately,
though, I've noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off • and
things started shattering, which had never happened before. So I • disassembled
it, and found some pieces had been bent, most noticeably the long Technic • beams:

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Binkmeister/Destroyer/bent_sd_beam.jpg>>

A few more pictures here:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=54869>

Several were bowed up, some down, depending on their orientation to the • stress
points in the structure. I'd never seen a LEGO model that bent over time • under
its own weight before.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I find it unusual that a model • would
have so much stress on it that the pieces would deform. BTW, the model • wasn't
moved much after it was put together, or subjected to any other kinds of • unusual
environment... it has always been in the same place in a controlled • environment.

I'll probably put it together again at a later point, if the pieces aren't • too
whacked, In the meantime I'm scavenging parts for a Battlestar Galactica • moc
(trying to use just the SD pieces).

Kelly (Binkmeister)