 Star Wars / 16152
Re: Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. Lately, though, I’ve noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off and things started shattering, which had never happened before. So I disassembled it, and found some pieces had been bent, most noticeably the long Technic beams:

<DELURK> I’ve got rather a weird and at the same time traumatic addendum to this story.

(those of weak constitution may not want to click on the links)

I was worried about this happening to my ISD and so took it down from it’s perch atop the fridge with the intention of removing all the plating and flipping the triangular frame upside down.

Before I even moved it I noticed that one of the DkGray 10x1 plates on the legs had shattered in place. uh-oh.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tmcsweeney/Misc/ISD-Damage/damage_01.jpg

(Sorry for the large images)

Once I had it down on the floor and had removed the super structure and deck plates I tried dismantling the legs and feet. Three came apart without problems but the front left foot had undergone a strange transformation. The bricks in the foot had become very very brittle and had fused together. This combination meant that it was impossible to get them apart without breaking them. (Just sliding a thumbnail under a brick was enough to cause it to shatter)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tmcsweeney/Misc/ISD-Damage/damage_03.jpg

The actual 16x1 technic beams that make up the legs appear to be fine but one 4x8 black plate that holds the legs together and the afore mentioned 10x1 plate both shattered. The entire foot piece was fused solid and the technic pins holding it to the leg just crumbled when I pulled the foot off.

The 4x6 technic “box” was full of cracks even before I tried dismantling the foot as were the sloping technic pieces on either side.

The only piece not affected was the 1x6 gray plate that acts as a facing on the front of the foot, but the blue half pins that hold it in place both disintegrated.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tmcsweeney/Misc/ISD-Damage/damage_02.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tmcsweeney/Misc/ISD-Damage/damage_04.jpg

I bought the model on preorder as soon as it came out and put it together straight away. It’s been untouched on top of my fridge since then (10 months?) The foot in question was well clear of any warm air coming up from the back of the fridge and there is no sign of any chemical spill that could have caused this. This was the only part of the ISD affected plus there was a full set of minis sitting around it and they are all fine.

My working theory is that either because of undulations in my fridge top or a slight unbalance in the model the front left leg was carrying most of the ISDs weight and that after such a long period the pressure somehow affected the plastic. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

I’ve written to consumer services and sent them the damaged pieces, it will be interesting to see if they can work out what may have happened.

Cheers Tim

Gallery Post Mod: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=56350

On the plus side it got me to finally get a brickshelf account and set up my machine here for lugnet posting!