 Star Wars / 16125
16124  |  16126
Subject:
Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:33:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. Lately, though, I’ve noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off and things started shattering, which had never happened before. So I disassembled it, and found some pieces had been bent, most noticeably the long Technic beams:

A few more pictures here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=54869

Several were bowed up, some down, depending on their orientation to the stress points in the structure. I’d never seen a LEGO model that bent over time under its own weight before.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I find it unusual that a model would have so much stress on it that the pieces would deform. BTW, the model wasn’t moved much after it was put together, or subjected to any other kinds of unusual environment... it has always been in the same place in a controlled environment.

I’ll probably put it together again at a later point, if the pieces aren’t too whacked, In the meantime I’m scavenging parts for a Battlestar Galactica moc (trying to use just the SD pieces).

Kelly (Binkmeister)