 Star Wars / 16131
Re: Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. Lately, though, I’ve noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off and things started shattering, which had never happened before. So I disassembled it, and found some pieces had been bent, most noticeably the long Technic beams:

A few more pictures here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=54869

Several were bowed up, some down, depending on their orientation to the stress points in the structure. I’d never seen a LEGO model that bent over time under its own weight before.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I find it unusual that a model would have so much stress on it that the pieces would deform. BTW, the model wasn’t moved much after it was put together, or subjected to any other kinds of unusual environment... it has always been in the same place in a controlled environment.

I’ll probably put it together again at a later point, if the pieces aren’t too whacked, In the meantime I’m scavenging parts for a Battlestar Galactica moc (trying to use just the SD pieces).

Kelly (Binkmeister)

I bought one when it came out and put it together right away. I took it apart a few days ago.

I too had four bent grey beams, but not as bad as yours. But you can still see that they’re warped. Some of the black ones are also bent ever so slightly - not enough you can see it, but if you put one on a flat surface and press down an end, the other end will go up a tiny bit.

Anyway, the next time I put it together, I’m just going to reverse the bent pieces so that they get un-bent. I also saw that the weak point in its structure is in between the two legs, so I’ll also add some pieces of my own to pull the middle of the beams down.