 Star Wars / 16153
Re: Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim McSweeney wrote:
   I bought the model on preorder as soon as it came out and put it together straight away. It’s been untouched on top of my fridge since then (10 months?) The foot in question was well clear of any warm air coming up from the back of the fridge and there is no sign of any chemical spill that could have caused this. This was the only part of the ISD affected plus there was a full set of minis sitting around it and they are all fine.

My working theory is that either because of undulations in my fridge top or a slight unbalance in the model the front left leg was carrying most of the ISDs weight and that after such a long period the pressure somehow affected the plastic. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

I’ve written to consumer services and sent them the damaged pieces, it will be interesting to see if they can work out what may have happened.

I would lay strong odds that it’s related to temperature fluctuations; perhaps a ‘hot spot’ on the top of the fridge. Certainly it isn’t because of weight. For well over 6 months, I had a 26 pound Battlestar Galactica frame sitting on it’s end (about 8 studs wide by 6 bricks tall) in the corner of my Lego room with absolutely no evidence of damage. That same model spent the previous year under the stairs on 2 ‘feet’, one of which bore 90% or more of the weight, the other was just to balance it.

Hope that helps,

James