 Star Wars / 17571
Re: Droopy Star Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. Lately, though, I’ve noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off and things started shattering, which had never happened before. So I disassembled it, and found some pieces had been bent, most noticeably the long Technic beams:

A few more pictures here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=54869

Several were bowed up, some down, depending on their orientation to the stress points in the structure. I’d never seen a LEGO model that bent over time under its own weight before.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I find it unusual that a model would have so much stress on it that the pieces would deform. BTW, the model wasn’t moved much after it was put together, or subjected to any other kinds of unusual environment... it has always been in the same place in a controlled environment.

I’ll probably put it together again at a later point, if the pieces aren’t too whacked, In the meantime I’m scavenging parts for a Battlestar Galactica moc (trying to use just the SD pieces).

Kelly (Binkmeister)

Kelly and all,

It was a good thing I found this thread. I just got my ISD and decided to make a small support for the nose. The support sits about 12 studs forward of the Cargo Bay. Its a very simple build and does detract from the look of the set.

First shot shows the support in action. I will change the thin walls to black when I can get the parts.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/Space/ISD/support01.jpg

Here you can see the support all by itself. Its a little fuzzy, but its very simple and the foot can be built how ever you want. Its overall highth is 11 1/3rd bricks.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/Space/ISD/support02.jpg

Here you can see how its integrated into the structure. The 1x2x3 thin walls worked great. They fit between the outer panels and still provide support.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legotrains/Space/ISD/support03.jpg

Enjoy Dave