 Star Wars / 16125
    Droopy Star Destroyer —Kelly McKiernan
   When the Star Destroyer came out last year, I got one for Christmas and of course put it together right away. It had a place of honor on my desk. Lately, though, I've noticed the nose drooping. So I took the bridge assembly off and things started (...) (21 years ago, 27-Aug-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Simmons
     I got one for Christmas too! I noticed that it was buckling after just a few weeks of being together. I think I took it apart after a month to save the bricks. Dave "Kelly McKiernan" <kelly@anagrafyxx.com> wrote in message (...) (21 years ago, 29-Aug-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Chris Dadd
     Mine has been on display for 9 months so far with no problems. However, I had noticed early on that there was a potential problem with the nose. My quick fix (which seems to have held up nicely) was to move the front main support from it's intended (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Jordan Bradford
     (...) I bought one when it came out and put it together right away. I took it apart a few days ago. I too had four bent grey beams, but not as bad as yours. But you can still see that they're warped. Some of the black ones are also bent ever so (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Tobbe Arnesson
     Thanks for the heads-up! Then I'll know not to have it on display too long *when* I find the money to get one! :) (21 years ago, 3-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Gregory
      I had my Star Destroyer together for over 5 months. I did notice the long Technic beams bending in the frame. When I took it apart, I thought that some might stay that way, but none of them did. The more I disassembled, the straighter they got. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Kelly McKiernan
     (...) That's good news... I just checked my beams, but unfortunately four are still warped, although I don't think quite as badly as they were before. If/when I rebuild, I'll make sure to use Jordan's reversing suggestion, if the beams fit that is. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Laswell
     (...) ABS plastic has "memory", so if you can heat it up to the right temperature range, it will relax back into its original shape without slagging. From our experience at work, you'd need to start around 150 degrees and gradually work upwards from (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Christian Allred
     (...) bend (...) If you did this enough times though, wouldn't the beam eventually fatigue and break? Or is ABS resilient to repeated stressing within a limited range of motion? (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David Laswell
     (...) No, eventually it might start to show stress, but it should last a lot longer than if you just set it on a table and leave it alone until pieces start popping off. The more often you flip it, the less stress the beams should experience, as (...) (21 years ago, 6-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Kelly McKiernan
     (...) Seeing as this suggestion would require a substantial rebuild for each flip (the beams in question are buried deep within the triangular support frames), I think I'll stick with the original plan and continue with the Galactica, at least (...) (21 years ago, 8-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Tim McSweeney
     (...) <DELURK> I've got rather a weird and at the same time traumatic addendum to this story. (those of weak constitution may not want to click on the links) I was worried about this happening to my ISD and so took it down from it's perch atop the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —James Brown
     (...) I would lay strong odds that it's related to temperature fluctuations; perhaps a 'hot spot' on the top of the fridge. Certainly it isn't because of weight. For well over 6 months, I had a 26 pound Battlestar Galactica frame sitting on it's end (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Tim McSweeney
     (...) Heat was my first suspect as well, however what possible source of heat is there in the center of the top of a modern fridge? The lightbulb inside? maybe it's not going out when I close the door! :) And how hot would it have to get to fuse (...) (21 years ago, 11-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Tim McSweeney
     (...) Hooray! heard back from CS over the weekend. They sent me back some of the damaged bricks and pointed out that there was a strong smell of perfume on them (which I hadn't noticed before) and that they had probably been exposed to a spill of (...) (21 years ago, 15-Sep-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Michael Zander
     Hi all, I'm a bit late to this discussion, sorry about that. Anyway, I had this same problem. I built a support to fix it, which worked well. I put up a little webpage with a more lengthy description of both my support and the stand that I use. (...) (21 years ago, 4-Nov-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

         Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —Michael Jorgensen
     (...) I like your solution. I would be interested in comissioning you to build me one. If you're interested, let me know. Thx, (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David VinZant
   (...) Kelly and all, It was a good thing I found this thread. I just got my ISD and decided to make a small support for the nose. The support sits about 12 studs forward of the Cargo Bay. Its a very simple build and does detract from the look of the (...) (19 years ago, 16-Oct-05, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)

        Re: Droopy Star Destroyer —David VinZant
   (...) Ok it looks like Lugnet doesnt like underscores in URL's. So if you add an underscore between support 01,02,03 you can see the images. After the pictures are MODed. you can view the folder here. (URL) for the troubles. Dave (19 years ago, 16-Oct-05, to lugnet.starwars, FTX)