 Star Wars / 12881
Re: Jawa Sandcrawler '02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:48:04 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Koudys writes:

What was the Star Wars phenom, could have been the Star Trek Phenom *2 only
if, as usual, *any* studio exec had a Vision(tm) and knew what the viewing
audience really wanted, instead of feeding us eye candy

I doubt this would have been true mostly because ST the Motion Picture was just
a little to slow.  It was closer to 2001 ASO then it was SW.  SW had blasters
firing and a much faster script.  Plus ST tries to base in self in some sort of
"future Earth" even if that future isn't very plausible, SW on the other hand
is 100% fictional and 100% fantasy based.

Between the faster pace, more violance, and 100% fantasy world I think SW had
the better shot.  Besides the ST franchise was somewhat established at that
point so you wern't as likely to pull in people that didn't like the the
Television series.

*3 George Lucas vs Gene Roddenberry - Say whay you want, I'll choose Gene
any day of the week.  Anyone who goes up against Network Brass to get his
Vision(tm) out there has my appreciation.  Sure, if you have lotsa money,
your own production company, and really no one to answer to, you can crete
your own Vision(tm), but on an extremely limited budget, and the network
saying 'People just won't get it!!' and trying to change and/or cancel your
show lotsa times...  Gene, you're inspirational.

While I in no way think George is a movie making God (his scripts are pretty
bad) he did have exactly the same constraints as you mention above when he did
the origional Star Wars.  He had a minimal budget (for a movie) and 20th
Century Fox was the only production company that gave him a chance (Paramont
among others all laughed in his face).

I give George credit for making his vision a reality and making his fortune in
the process.  George may not be a good script righter, or a good director but
he is a visionary.  He just needs to let someone else rewrite his scripts and
do the directing.

Personally I will take a Scruffy looking Nerf Herder and a Wookie over Captain
Kirk and Spock any day.  Who needs Scotty, Bones, Ohura, Sulu etc. anyway...
Besides SW is 99% "Blast'm" and ST is 99% "set to stun".  I'll take Blast'm any
day.

p.s. I was a Trekkie thru most of my life, tho now not so much.  That said,
I am appreciating the new series, and will probably see ST:X (tho not
opening night like the previous 9 movies)

Well I have been a SW fan since, oh, around 1977... and I am still a big fan.
Sure I could do without Jar Jar, the Ewoks, and "but that's a whole nother
yeeeeaar" whinning from Luke but SW has been and probably will be "My personal
fantasy world" for quite some time.  When I am not day-dreaming about LEGO I
day-dream SW.

Dave
-Who really does like Star Wars, honest!--just like Star Trek more ;)

Switch the "Wars" and "Trek" and you have got me pinned.

Eric Kingsley