 Star Wars / 12634
Re: an alternate opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:49:54 GMT

Paul & All,

I have given up any hope of getting my work done today, so I will come in
this weekend. : /

Anyway, I saw this thread and wanted to put a few comments here:

i hate juniorization as much as the next guy
but i don't buy those sets.

Right.

The new SW sets are the BEST sets TLC has ever
made, the curved pieces (finally) allow for
stylish mocs, and the canopies can be placed
side by side w/out trans walls between them.

There are some good sets here, and some bad ones. But there is no question
on the great range of parts offered.

AND
I grew up w/ lego and classic space
(i have every space set from like '74 to '86)
and most of the folks who complain about
current TLC policy NEVER HAD THOSE SETS.

Some don't, but I do have the majority of them from the Minifig era on (78,
79?). I think I can offer some opinions on thsoe sets.

well, they mostly suck. really. as someone
who had them, had a dark ages, and came back
to lego, I can say that I build almost entirely
with my sets AFTER '95.  The pieces are better,
more interesting, more useful, etc.  There's
only so much you can do w/ a freaking BRICK.
And i never liked spaceships that look like
a blue box w/ grey wings.

Wow, that is interesting. There were some awful looking sets, some bad
functionality and the like, and some other issues, but I think overall, the
Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron, etc. had some really good sets, with a
lot of good price ranges and good general themes. They did have some good
parts, and I think one of the main problems was switching to so many
specialized pieces that the sets seemed overally simple. After 1995, with
the introduction of UFO and Insectoids, which were horrible themes, and
perhaps added to the finality of the Space line, before Star Wars came on
the scene.

I do agree that specialty parts do add a significant part of creations now,
and that without those, it would be hard making a lot of different things we
now can do. However, I think most of the specialty parts started around in
the middle 80's, with newer parts that got away from the usual LEGO mentality.

A lot of this is just nostalgia, and I will NEVER
part w/ my old lego.  In fact, I'm rebuilding all
the my classic stuff from the ORIGINAL PIECES.
I recently sorted those pieces (which are separate
from my current lego collection) and in the ENTIRE
12 Year span of pieces, I found less than 100 pieces
that were actually useful...

Wow, that is also interesting.

... unless you want to make a blue box w/ grey wings.

Heh, I liked the blue box with the wings concept. In my corner of the
universe, I used those for the earlier ships used by the space agencies, and
they were the base for newer ships, which happen to use the newer parts now.
: )

So I do have a little different opinion here, but I do understand where you
are coming from. The Star Wars sets are a great resource of parts, even if
you are not a big fan of the SW world. And while I do agree the first space
sets were simple, I have more value attached to those than you do, in terms
of piece value.

Interesting post, Paul. : )

Scott S.