 Star Wars / 12633
Re: an alternate opinion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:07:05 GMT

Well said! If I may add a few comments:

Paul Hartzog wrote:

in general response to this thread....

i hate juniorization as much as the next guy
but i don't buy those sets.

I'd like to chime in here to remind people that juniorization of LEGO
System sets should not be confused with the introduction of the
quick-build Jack Stone sets. JS sets allow LEGO to provide simpler sets
for younger kids, INSTEAD of juniorizing the System sets (a la: Town
Jr.). Granted, there are still some wall bricks and the like being used
in System sets, but I really think the trend toward juniorization has
reversed (Yay!). In fact, look how few Jack Stone pieces are used in the
System line models.

The new SW sets are the BEST sets TLC has ever
made, the curved pieces (finally) allow for
stylish mocs, and the canopies can be placed
side by side w/out trans walls between them.

AND
I grew up w/ lego and classic space
(i have every space set from like '74 to '86)
and most of the folks who complain about
current TLC policy NEVER HAD THOSE SETS.

well, they mostly suck. really. as someone
who had them, had a dark ages, and came back
to lego, I can say that I build almost entirely
with my sets AFTER '95.  The pieces are better,
more interesting, more useful, etc.  There's
only so much you can do w/ a freaking BRICK.
And i never liked spaceships that look like
a blue box w/ grey wings.

Ouch. But yeah. I own the Galaxy Explorer and the Alpha Base sets, and I
have to admit that as a kid, I built them once, then took them apart and
never tried to build any other space ships with the pieces. It's a great
set for nostalgia, and was pretty impressive at the time, but you're
right: not so impressive on its own merits. Compare it to the Sith
Infiltrator (both sets use a lot of plates for basic structure). No contest.

A lot of this is just nostalgia, and I will NEVER
part w/ my old lego.  In fact, I'm rebuilding all
the my classic stuff from the ORIGINAL PIECES.
I recently sorted those pieces (which are separate
from my current lego collection) and in the ENTIRE
12 Year span of pieces, I found less than 100 pieces
that were actually useful...

... unless you want to make a blue box w/ grey wings.

:-D

-paul