 Star Wars / 12105
Re: Star Wars v. Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:43:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Green writes:
I think comparing the Star Wars LEGO Sets with the Harry Potter sets isn't
really fair. The Star Wars sets have essentially all been vehicle sets,
whereas with Potter, aside from the train, they are all playsets. Designing a
LEGO playset and a LEGO vehicle would seem to be totally different
challenges.

Well, you're right-- they're very different themes. And granted it's easy to
come up with set ideas for SW. I mean, SW already has a HUGE bonus insofar
as its spaceship designs were cool and semi-"realistic", unlike many of the
space sets which are just flying seats with windshields, or colorful masses
of bricks without much stylistic design (Granted there are exceptions!). So
yeah, SW already has a leg up, admitted.

With the Star Wars vehicles, as long as the set is accurate to the movie,
their job is done. The imagination can come up with endless scenarios to play
with that vehicle with all the inspiration provided by the Star Wars movies,
games, books, etc. With a playset, however, your imagination is mostly
limited to the one scene that the playset represents.

Also agree. Vehicles and the like are more appealing than playsets-- at
least (I think) to the young male audience. Maybe not girls? I dunno. Boys
don't scoff at them to be sure, but I think vehicles ultimately get more
play value. You can also make a base/building/generic surrounding out of two
pillows and a box. It's harder to make a vehicle. So again, easy bonus.

When Kenner first did the Star Wars action figures, the vehicles they released
were very accurate to the movie for the standards of those days. But look at
the playsets they did. "Movie accuracy" isn't the same with playsets.

Perhaps I need to be more specific. If we're comparing HP to SW, on what
fronts are we comparing? Accuracy? Cool parts? Re-usable parts? Number of
parts? Cost? Playability? Durablility? Set design-coolness-factor?
Creativity (on TLC's part)?

And you're right. Comparing accuracy, playability, and arguably "coolness",
SW has a leg up already, even before we begin. I'd say it wins in each
category. It's easier to fulfill those criteria for SW than HP (I think).

-But cool parts? Close to a tie, leaning towards SW, I think.
-Re-usable parts? SW all the way, no question.
-Number of parts? SW, all the way. Far less juniorization. Thank Lucas for
that... he 'forced/encouraged' Lego in that direction.
-Cost? Comparable.
-Creativity? I'll actually give HP the win on that one. But then again, they
didn't even need to try with SW. It had a head start.

So all in all? SW is a cooler line. I think. Doesn't matter that yes, it had
an advantage to begin with. That actaully contributes to the fact that it's
a better line. What it *DOES* mean is that we have to factor in that leg up
into how "good a job" TLC did. IE did it do the best it could do? But just
because TLC tried really hard to make a less appealing theme more appealing
doesn't mean the more appealing theme is any worse, or that the less
appealing theme is any better in the end.

Sure, sometimes adding play
value can backfire, like the silly escape pod in the Millenium Falcon set

Perfect example of a flying windshield. Not Star Warsy at all. Very Legoy
though, sadly.

I really like the way the Potter sets are modular and can be stacked in a
variety of ways. If LEGO decides to do Star Wars playsets, especially
something like scenes from the Death Star, I hope they incorporate a feature
like that.

The only gripe I seem to have about it is that it's unstable. Comparing it
to the old castle-wall system oh-so-long ago, it pales in comparison. I
think they started that trend in '99 with the ninja sets? Kind of a cool
idea, and I'm not sure how much better it could be done, but certainly a
cool idea.

DaveE