 Star Wars / 12093
Re: Star Wars v. Harry Potter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:56:46 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John R. Beck writes:
Yea, I meant Hagrid.

Just checking. ;)

I went to see the "Forbidden Love" Star Wars trailer
that was supposed to be before Potter and they didn't have it.  So I left,
got my money back and will go to another theater.  To me the trailer is as
big an attraction as the movie, well, obviously more so.

Too bad you didn't stay.  From what I've seen of Episode II, the Harry
Potter movie will be more worth the time and money.  :)

I haven't read the Potter books,

Egad!  Herein lies the problem.  A read through Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone will help you to see that the sets are... well..
pitiful.  Without the Harry Potter name stamped on them they wouldn't be
selling at all.  LEGO is getting a free ride off the popularity of the
character, but it doesn't make up for poor set design.

I was just impressed with the minifig designs and the volume
of new pieces, keys, new doors, new roof tops.  Very impressive. The only
really innovative new pieces on the star wars stuff in my opinion were the
windshields for the xwing, bwing and tie fighter.  Otherwise I could have
virtually built all of the them without the new sets...what do you think?

I agree.  Which ultimately is what made the Star Wars sets better.  They
accomplished good design (in some cases GREAT design) and they did it with
more 'off the shelf' parts.  Cranking out new molds to come up with more and
more wacky parts does not guarantee that a series will be successful.
Examples of this:

1)  Jack Stone (no, I will never stop criticizing this series... it is NOT LEGO)
2)  Bionicle  (strong seller, but poor design)
3)  Rock Raiders  (hype... hype... hype.... and an utter lack of design)

I could go on, but anyone who's read any of my recent posts has heard it all
already.  :)

Do read the Potter books if you get a chance though.  They're a better buy
right now than any current LEGO set.

Regards,
Allan B.