 Star Wars / 12106
Re: Ultimate Mini-fig scale X-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:59:37 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Josh Opotzner writes:
Thanks for the great comments guys!  Looks like I was a little quick to show
off, though...I changed it already <cowers>.  I noticed the nose was too
long so it's 4 studs shorter and looks much better.

Out of curiosity, where did you go for stats and measurements? I think I got
mine off the Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels, as well as blueprints
for the Hoth base, wherein hanger 'cells' were carved especially to fit
X-wings...

Coincidentally, I was amazed to find a picture in the Art Of Star Wars that
was almost *perfectly* in minifig scale once I had the initial measurements.
(Based on about 7mm = 1 minifig foot) IIRC each wing on my design was 1 stud
wider than Mark's, but I forget how many studs long mine was...

I'd put up pics of this
one, but the shortened nose prevents me from doing forward landing
gear...with my luck I'd take new pics then figure out new landing gear so I
think I'll wait a day or so :)

Yeah, that was one of the things that intreuged me about your model-- I
barely had room for a forward landing gear in mine (I left out the proton
torpedos, though I put black plates on the side from where they shoot from
to indicate the holes... oh well)

How to I make a snowspeeder in which the figs sit back to back and
the middle fuselage doesn't extend beyond the wings?!  Well!  *I* asked
these questions, anyway, so back off!)

Snowspeeders are *tough*. They're actually about as wide as a *WING* of the
X-wing. I think I got that they "should" be about 12 studs long and 11 studs
wide... (I think you could go as wide as 14x13 and not be horribly out of
scale-- makes your average minifig about 5' tall instead of 6'). The version
I did at 12x11 could fit a single minifig with no arms :(

DaveE