 Star Wars / 12113
Re: Ultimate Mini-fig scale X-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:51:15 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Josh Opotzner writes:
In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/swpics.cgi

Good thing you wrote lots of notes, because the site seems to having
problems.  Traffic because everybody is rushing to see the pics?  Ah,
yeah...we'll just keep that exuse :)

Huh... no, not that many hits, actually... only 37 page loads besides me
have loaded it since last night... I know the site was down for a while this
morning, though. But it should have been up all day... I can get them now
(4:40PM Eastern Time)

Some notes on mine:
- I'd love to try and redo it in white like Mark's... the only piece that I
know of that doesn't come in white is the grey barrels on the engines...

Gray!  GRAY!  If they are gonna tell me an accurate non-dirty X-Wing is
white, then screw accuracy because I want a gray one.

I kinda thought that till looking at a few models and looking at the
production pictures. They're somewhere inbetween a Lego-light-grey and a
white, but closer to white... I'm tempted to try one just to see...

- I tried first with click hinges, though the thing that got me was that
when the S-foils were in X formation, there wasn't any gap between the wings
at the body, unlike the "real" thing (this is looking at the production
models from Star Wars) where a sizeable gap forms as the wings spread apart.

Hmmm..don't follow you.  With the clickies, theres a gap, alright...maybe
between 2 plates and a brick.

It's hard to explain-- easy to see in the pictures (2nd one down). You might
have to 'view raw message' to see the ASCII, but essentially:

The click hinges/other hinges look like this from the front in X-mode
(Exaggerated):

\           /
\   ___   /
  \ |   | /
   \|   |/
   /|   |\
  / |___| \
/         \
/           \
And the "real" thing is a closer to:
\           /
\         /
  \  ___  /
   \|   |/
    |   |
    |   |
   /|___|\
  /       \
/         \
/           \
Essentially if you traced a diagonal line from wingtip to opposing wingtip,
you'd be perfectly parallel to the wing on each side, and cross directly
through the midpoint of the ship. Guh... it's still tough to describe :)

"Josh...Dave came and gave us blind scale disease!"  The stormtrooper,
concealing his eyes with his helmet,

Heh, even with no helmets, my stormtroopers are blind! Curse them for not
putting a face on the stormtrooper heads :) [maybe they have an oedipus complex]

Even with warning and being extremely careful, I screwed up the wings.

Same here. I had to rebuild the interior. I hadn't realized that they
counted on gravity to do the work for them, so I tried to compensate. I was
wrong.

If the whole thing was gray, or didn't look messed up at least, I
probably would have liked it, but there were too many little things that I
didn't like.

Agree. I wouldn't keep it on display. (not that i keep *much* on display)
I'd just build my own. Only reason I had to get it was parts.

DaveE