 Star Wars / 12109
Re: Ultimate Mini-fig scale X-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:19:05 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Josh Opotzner writes:
Hmmm...I'm quite sure my entire X-Wing is almost perfect except for the
cockpit.  With mini-figs, it can't be perfect, you gotta take a hit
somewhere.  I'm happy with this model, just about everything is to scale and
shaped right compared to everything else.  C'mon...if we wanted perfect
models we'd just buy the toys or model kits.

Heh, I'm just a stickler for scale :) Often makes me wish I weren't since
minifigs are so grossly disproportionate to real people :)

Hmmm...I'd like to see pics if they exist (point me).

They didn't, but I put some quick ones together:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/swpics.cgi

Some notes on mine:
- I'd love to try and redo it in white like Mark's... the only piece that I
know of that doesn't come in white is the grey barrels on the engines...
- The nose is a little too wide, and also a bit blocky
- I tried first with click hinges, though the thing that got me was that
when the S-foils were in X formation, there wasn't any gap between the wings
at the body, unlike the "real" thing (this is looking at the production
models from Star Wars) where a sizeable gap forms as the wings spread apart.
So I actually attached the opposing wings together and hinged it around the
very center of the model, making it slightly more accurate, but mostly just
fun to fiddle with!
- The rear detailing isn't really that great-- I was actually also rather
interested to try your technique since it gives the 'hexagonal' impression
that the actual body has-- slightly more accurate :)
- The rear and front landing gears really should be longer... The front one
is easily extendable, but was only shortened to match the rear ones...
ideally (and very difficultly) I'd like them to "fit nicely" when retracted
in the rear, which proved to be a problem :(
- The wingtip lasers are a little too short... The thin secion just behind
the tip is really what needs to be extended, unfortunately, so I let it be
where it is...
- I'd also really love to have the wings actually meet *flat* when together,
which would mean doing a studs-down design on the lower S-foils (as Mark did
actually) but I haven't tried much since doing that makes the opposing-wing
connection more difficult... maybe someday :)

Ack-I don't have that type of blind scale loyalty.

It's a horrible disease. I don't recommend it. I don't know how contagious I
am, but I try to stay indoors just in case. :)

I threw in some pictures of the "to scale" snowspeeder... It's... ok. I'm
not overly thrilled with it, but it *is* to scale. At least I'm happy with
*that* :) Also thrown in is a picture of the "to scale" speeder bike (in
grey) that'll be replacing my current bikes that are in the AT-AT... Both
the speeder bike and the snowspeeder can't really deal with actual minifigs
:( But they're to scale gol-darnit! (See, told you it was a horrible disease)

I didn't like the UCS X-Wing because
it didn't work with mini-figs and it didn't look nice.

Agreed. I'm so very tempted to try my hand at making a UCS scale one with
the oh-so-nearly-perfect cockpit canopy they used, but I dunno if that'll
ever happen. I was quite dissapointed in the color scheme and the
wing-opening-mechanism, but otherwise it was ok. WONDERFUL source of parts.
I've been thinking about getting another one just for more grey barrels :)
[not to mention the swath of other cool parts]

DaveE